Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

using a york as a shop compressor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Sep 26, 2004.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

ok so I"ve ran into this delima of not having a shop air compressor, and there seems to be enough times I want one that I'm half-a$$ shopping and trying not to buy.

basically I want something I can run shop tools with as well as or mostly use a spray gun as well. so do you think a york 210 with a higher rpm electric motor on a big set of tanks would do the trick. I"m thinking I can rig this up for less than or around $100.

so any thoughts? out of my mind, will it hold up to the amount of abuse for shop jobs?

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i made one for my dad, it was mounted on a 15gal tank powerd by a 5hp gas engine. That was back in 1987. he had to put another compressor on there and a new fan belt. just make sure you have enough oil in it.

FYI: i ened giving the compressor away to a friend of mine down in mexico about a year ago. i saw him a few days ago and said it was still running. he uses the hell out of it too.

ARQ.

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

keep the RPM's around 2000 i would think...

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    keep the RPM's around 2000 i would think...

[/ QUOTE ]
    From what I've read, Yorks do not link to run above 1300 RPM's for long periods of time.

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

wouldn't know why not since they are built to be a/c compressors.... usually running over 2k on the freeway. as long as they have enough oil and there's a filter on the intake.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Engine may be running at or around 2000 but the pulley size determines the rpm of the pump. Haven't really looked at mine much to figure out what rpm it would be turning relative to engine speed.