Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

using AC condenser as tranny cooler, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ducttape114, Apr 5, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

Bec's tube buggy was running this set up at BB. i was really impressed and have been meaning rig it up since i got back. well, tomorow i have a day off so im gonna do it up. any thoughts? advice? experiance? thanks

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ive thought of the same thing, but was adviced not to do it because it could not take the pressure. im sure other will chime in.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

A good friend of mine used his AC condenser for a tranny cooler and it worked fine not to mention that it increased tranny fluid capacity by quite a bit. It will work. I wanted to do the same until I got to looking closer at mine and it was cracked. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

It should totally take the pressure, A/C pressures can rise up to 300+ psi if it's hot and little air flow. It's good for the extra capacity but I would wonder if it would be too good of a cooler if there is such a thing. It may keep the oil too cold but if you're in a hot climate and the tranny gets used hard, I don't see any problems
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I did it on my K/5 but it made the motor overheat. It worked great other then that.

6. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

I used mine as a cooler for a couple of years before i switched to a 465. Never had any problems

7. cybrfire

I forgot all about that. He had a bypass plumbed into the line so he could let the tranny warm up in cold weather and such. That was kind of an after thought. I forgot all about it.

8. cybrfire

I forgot all about that. He had a bypass plumbed into the line so he could let the tranny warm up in cold weather and such. That was kind of an after thought. I forgot all about it.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have heard that it is not a good idea because any residual freon could kill the tranny pretty quick. I have seen it done before though, but I sure am not going to risk a tranny trying to use one.

10. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

You run through the both the stock cooler and the ac condensor. The antifreeze will warm the fluid, but the condesor will add more fluid and keep the tranny from overheating.

11. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

thanks seems kind of counter productive. how bad is it if your tranny fluid only gets up to around 100*-110* on the street? thats where its running now.

12. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Oil has a certain temp range it's made to work in. Having it too cold will make it thick, hard on the pump, not burn any moisture out of it, cause harsh shifts and be hard on some internal seals. If your tranny is only running 100-110 degrees now, I'd say thats cool enough.
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif