Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

using brake booster and MC from truck that was in a fire?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jul 27, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Buddies 86 c20 was in a fire awhile back when his girlfriends ex-boyfriend set fire to his house. The truck was in a garage and the grill, hood and front fenders as well as the engine bay was brunt up a little. I'm wondering if the Booster and Master Cylinder would be save to use? its black, but not melted and the cap on the booster is still solid (its aluminum it looks like). Is there anything inside that can melt or cause problems? I'm wanting to pull the 3/4ton booster, MC, lines and distribution block in the front and plumb them on my frame before the body goes on. Also the back brake line from the resivor has a line tapped into it whats that for? Line lock?

[​IMG]

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

there is a seal on the back side of the master cylinder, if it got hot at all, id say it was damaged. also there is a seal in the cab side of the booster, that might have gotten damaged also. what i would do is take the booster off and hook it up to your DD and see if it leaks, if not then run it. on the mastercyclider, don't know what to say but try it and if it leaks out the back then you need a new one.

on the line plumbed in, is it the front or back brakes? mine has one on the back brakes for an old trailer brake controller.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If they were in a fire, I'd say you've got cores to get new (rebuilt) ones. IMO, brakes are too critical to trust to parts that have gone through that kind of treatment

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree--I'd pass on both,a rebuilt master cylinder was only 15.99 at autozone for my 79 C10,and the booster may have survived the heat,but the rubber diaphram in it is likely charred a little,and would fail in short order--it was about 80 bucks for a rebuilt one on my 79,but I had a used one from a 73 K10 I junked that bolted on perfectly--even though the hollander book at the boneyard said only 79-80 would work(the book isnt the gospel truth evidently!).
    I wouldnt skimp on brake parts--its a lot more expensive if you CANT stop,than to replace all the parts with rebuilt or new.The fitting in the master is probably a tee for trailer brakes,like the other post said. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    You say his girlfriend set fire to the house??.HMMM,I guess being single isnt that bad after all! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have to agree with the other guys and say that anything that was close to the heat from the fire should be considered a core. I'm sure the truck still has some other good salvagable parts though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

DAMN /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Cool, thanks guys, I'll probley still try to use the lines since the one on my truck are rusted up and nasty and the ones on my new frame where cut. Do you think the heat weakend the lines any?