Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using EGR on Vortec heads?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Aug 6, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to keep the stock EGR system on my new Vortec heads for my 88' 350 TBI so I bought the EGR adapter kit that Scoggin-Dickey sells but I have no clue where any of the 4 parts go. Has anyone used this adapter before and made it work? I have a picture of the parts but I can't seem to put it in my post. Any help for either problem is greatly appreciated.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know little about the TBI Vortec intake, so bear with me here.

That intake IS what you are using, correct?

On the passenger side rear of the intake, is the "port" where the adapter for EGR bolts in, right? (1/2" hole maybe, with bolt hole at top and bottom)

My understanding of the install, is that one end bolts here, the pipe runs behind the head (seen similar setup on stock engines before) and then connects to a welded on piece on headers. I could be wrong about the welding part, but I'm 99% sure you've got to run headers to make this work.

Stock TBI exhaust manifolds only have one port for the O2 sensor, but not sure on Vortec exhaust manifolds. I'd ASSuME that they have two ports, one for O2 and one for EGR, but?? Since Vortecs have no EGR/choke crossover like stock TBI, that would make sense.

Am I right that you end up with one end bolted to the intake, and the only other piece (except the flexible metal tube) is "rounded" like it would weld onto a header primary tube?

I'm pretty sure SDPC has an EGR kit install link on their page somewhere, but I'm not able to browse except at a snails pace right now.

3. dyeager535

Ok, here we go:

Vortec TPI base is what I *think* that kit is made for. (note EGR mount in center of intake for valve, but EGR port at passenger side rear.)

vortec TBI

Don't know where the EGR "feed" should go on that intake to be honest.

read tech note

TPI instructions, with detailed EGR info

So is the one shown in the TPI one what you have? I tried getting ahold of edelbrock regarding the kit mentioned for the TBI setup, but they never got back to me, so I'm not sure if you can even buy it now.

I'm going to have to buy that Vortec EGR setup myself. Wish they would have routed it behind the head instead of over the valve cover though!

4. BayouBlazer88

I've got the Vortec TBI intake. I ordered 2 things from SDPC: the EGR adapter #E2899 and the EGR adapter fitting #12552329. Now what I don't understand is that SDPC includes these parts with the Vortec head kits they sell with the TBI style intake, but with no instuctions on how to install the adapter. Now I can easily rig up something with these adapter peices to connect to my headers somehow, but I don't know how it is supposed to connect to the intake. I'll probably give SDPC a call tomorrow and see if they can help. Thanks for the help though.

5. dyeager535

Well you should be able to figure out where the passages go by blowing on them. (seal the opening and apply air) You could probably run wire down one of them as well. Or run water through it. Won't hurt it any.

One hole will go to the intake runners, one will HAVE to go to the EGR "source" port on the intake.

FWIW, on that intake, I saw nothing except *maybe* that port on the passenger side rear right by the water crossover that looked like a possible EGR "in". If it doesn't extend into the water crossover, thats probably it.

6. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

front left corner that would be drivers there is a hole it goes there u can see where the pipe connects .hook it up there . i dont run an egr on mine i block off the passage and install the valve or u can get a block off plate .

Kevin

7. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

The port for the EGR tube is on the driver's side front, right at the second intake bolt hole (hard to see in the pic in Dorian's post, since it points outward from the manifold; in the pic it's at the top at the second bolt hole from the right). It's a female inverted flare, and the EGR tube has the correct fitting on it.

8. dyeager535

Ahh, NOW I can see it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seems awfully far forward, is the kit designed for headers?

9. BayouBlazer88

I see where the fitting connects now but I'm still confused as to where the other peices go. Can someone explain how to put a picture from a digital camera into your post? Because I have a picture of all the adapter peices that came with the kit.

-Oh and yes the kit IS designed for headers.

10. jms

[ QUOTE ]
    ...awfully far forward...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup, and it's a bit in the way for the brace of the A/C compressor, and it looks ugly and covers my nice aluminum valve covers...

Not sure about specific design for headers. I am using mine w/ headers, but I still run a carb, so I connected the tube (with a homemade extension) to the (unused) oxygen sensor port in my headers (not quite what EGR is about, since I'm pulling exhaust gas after AIR instead of before, but the alternative would have been to weld another port to the header before AIR, and since I can't weld...).

I believe there's a specific driver's side exhaust manifold available for trucks that's designed to work with the EGR tube (don't know the part #, sorry).

11. BayouBlazer88

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe there's a specific driver's side exhaust manifold available for trucks that's designed to work with the EGR tube (don't know the part #, sorry).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there is. Scoggin-Dickey sells it for $90. Also, I ditched my AIR system a long time ago. So would I be better off just ditching the EGR system and getting a block-off plate since I have no AIR system? Or should I do my best to try and keep it. It won't be that hard to do, just drill a hole in my driver-side header and weld in the pipe. If I could only figure out where all these parts go, I'd be fine. Here's a pic of all the parts:

EGR adapter

12. jms

Didn't mean to confuse anybody - as I understand it, exhaust is supposed to go to the EGR valve before air is injected, so the port where you connect the EGR supply tube should be somewhere on the exh. manifold or header between cylinder head and AIR injection port.

What actually connects to the port on the intake manifold I believe is the EGR supply tube (SDPC part # 10220275), and the other end connects to the header - that's where you'd need a fitting you can weld onto the header. Can't tell from your pic whether that's included in the kit - maybe call SDPC and ask.

13. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    So would I be better off just ditching the EGR system and getting a block-off plate since I have no AIR system? Or should I do my best to try and keep it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's not hard, keep it. EGR does nothing but help your vehicle, so no reason to ditch it unless it's not possible any other way to keep it.