Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

using engine hoist to pull tranny/x-case DONE!!!!!!***********

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Nov 27, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Where can I attach the chain or rope to? I will be doing this by myself so It can't be complicated as in balancing it or anything. Any suggestions? I might try to do this today.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Re: using engine hoist to pull tranny/x-case

not really motivated to do this today. Maybe tomorrow after I fix the snowblower with my dads friend. Otherwise I will just push it aside to another weekend, or afterschool one day.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

well im going out there now. I will report later if I fail or suceed...

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

aaaaaaaaaaah i totally forgot about the oil. somehow oil is running out of there like it's in danger. now my whole carport has a big tranny fluid stain from where i (accidently) knocked over the bowl of fkuid I already had, and where the rags where mopping it up. I hope that brake fluid idea works!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

well I got it out. I just put wood under the mounts, and a long piece across the front of the oil pan. Tomorrow or someday after school I will get the furd and put the engine and tranny-tcase in to bring it into the shop. Anyone have a rough estimate on how much a tailgate can support? I want to put the tranny/t-case on there so I can get it closer to the shop door (there is a green house on the left, so that really kills how close I can get) then I would have the engine hoist inside, and bring it in. I think...

Despite the oil stains all over, it went well! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

just bust it apart now, then you can carry each piece by hand. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

if you still want to do the truck, my dad's F150's tailgate supported the entire weight of a loaded d60 and the only damage was scratches from the rotors.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

wow! okay I will probably use it then. I will just check it every now and then for bending /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Be wary if the taigate uses cables instead of metal straps--they can fail suddenly if overloaded,especially if they are frayed.I dropped a heavy industrial engine after I had hoisted it onto my friends ford pickup--we were just about ready to shove it the rest of the way in the bed and shut the gate,when one cable snapped and the little "cup" thing the tailgate hinges on broke off(rotted away!)--the engine just missed our toes by an inch,and I got a nice scar on my leg to this day as a souvineer.The motor suffered some expensive damage too,crushed the oil pan,broke the oil pump,and broke the intake manifold in two-- /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif My flatebed has no tailgate,just a board that drops into stake pocket holes--I've had bad luck with tailgates--either I wreck em,lose them(as in falling off after hitting a large frost heave in the road,and get run over by the guy behind you)or somebody decides to steal it since it looks better than theirs did.I want to get a hydraulic liftgate for my truck,but most of them weigh so much the truck is almost overloaded when its empty--My next truck I'd like to have a dumping flatbed with a hydraulic taigate lift,and a winch to drag things into the bed along with the crane,and maybe make it big enough to carry another truck--but even a one ton isnt big enough for that task--I'd have to use a C60 or some similar truck--and there arent cheap to buy.register,and insure--and tires are expensive and hard to change on the big trucks.Maybe when I'm rich--- /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

hmmm, maybe I will just take it off, I don't need it to drop onto my feet. Thanks for the heads up!