Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

using Equal to balance tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UNCLE CRACKER, Mar 26, 2002.

1. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

has anyone used that powder stuff to balance ther tires with? i think the stuff is called EQUAL. ive got 38.5s on 15x10 beadlocks and im trying to figure out a way to balance them . let me know if the stuff works

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i would like to know too...my beadlocks are a bitch to keep ballanced...

3. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

a laugh was had at my expense when i piped up and said, " you mean like a big jar of sweet-n-lo?".....

aparently they shake a little coming away from a stop, but when the material gets distributed like it is supposed to, it works great!

greg

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

shaking at low speeds is WAY better than shaking at high speeds
    ill have to try it to see if it works
    Grant

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Do just a little more checking around. A local shop specializing in dump truck and 18 wheeler tires has some balancing powder that is electrostatically charged. In other words, it uses static electricity to "stick" to the inside of the tire. It will not fall to the bottom of the tire at traffic lights and stop signs. I have not used it or any other balancing powder on my truck. I wil, however,l be testing it out soon. My cousing has balance powder in his 40" Gumbos and it works well for him. I'm not sure of the name of this electrostatic powder. It was suggested to me to try between 8 and 10 ounces of it for my 44" Swampers.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I know a few people who have tried it. They said it does good. The thing to watch out for is when you air down you want the stem on the bottom so that the powder doesn't get in the valve and cause it to leak.
    There is a thread on BPP of guys putting golf balls in big tires and it helping. Bet that sounds funny when you come to a stop LOL.

7. UNCLE CRACKER

let me know the name of that stuff and where to get it. sounds like the awnser to balancing tires keep me posted

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I was never able to get 38.5 swampers that were round.
    I did use equal
    when doing anything valve stem related you must either run the sintered filter stems or give the tire a quick shot of air to clear the stem.
    even to just check air pressure, i killed a guage or two by filling it with powder

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If any moisture gets in there that powder will be not so great to have. That'd be something that'd make me weary about having it....

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

On a related note: anyone try those Centramatic balancers? They're a plate with a rim aorund the outside of them filled with steel shot. Same principle; it moves to offset the tires heavy spots. Apparently; used alot in the big truck industry.

Heres the link: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.centramatic.com>www.centramatic.com</a>

Anyone have any experience with these??

I'm looking into 42" Swampers &amp; wouldn't mind having some balance in them /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. UNCLE CRACKER

i called today to get a price on those $200.00 for a set of 4 . man thats alot but if it works i guess it minght be worth it thanks for the info

12. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

they say you can hardly hear the golf balls unless you listen for it. I'm gonna try these on my 35/15/15 tsl's when i get some time, mostly cause i have an abundance of old golf balls. ill let everyone know how it goes...

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I saw over on an article on the POR Site, that a guy used a shot glass full of BB's in each tire. What do you all think of that ? I'm getting my 38s mounted soon, so I'd liek to know. Thanks.

14. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

cant confirm this, but i heard that after a while bb's tear up the inside of the tire.

I dunno.

15. UNCLE CRACKER

BBs im still wondering about the golf ball. im going tomorow to get some equal put in my tires ill let you know if it works. i guess they have valve stems to go with the equal that has a built in filter to keep moisture out and to keep the equal from clogging up the vavel stem when airing down. ill keep you guys posted.

16. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

This is what I was told about golf balls. 36" and under use 2 balls and over 36" use 3 and 42" or 44" might take 4. I think that it might be the only good thing that came out of golf. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

everybody says that if you air up and down the equal will get moisture in it and not work. My 38's have been balanced but still shake a little. Nature of the beast. Just make sure your coffee cup has a lid on it.

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the ones that were available to me were the steel stem with oring seal.
    they wouldnt work on my Eaton rims.

19. UNCLE CRACKER

well i put the equal in today and it seems to work very well i also put the knew valve stems in thet have a filter on the end of them to help keep moisture out and to keep from the equal pluging up the valve stem. i used 1 8oz bag per wheel and it worked great i think i moght and some more later on but so far it works great. now my truck wont shake apart going down the freeway

20. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

what was your final cost for equal in all 4 tires and new valve stems?