Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using explosives to remove A/C compressor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fjleiter, Aug 15, 2004.

1. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Anyone know how to remove an A/C compressor from a 1990 K5?
    took the nuts off the three retaining bolts but can't get the bolts out, if I try to slide them out they hit the pulley/compressor clutch before they are out far enough to remove. Is there a trick to pulling these out? Trying to yank everything out to get the new motor in and this has me at a stand still. Considering explosives at the moment (think small thermonuclear device and a call to the insurance company afterwards...) /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you sure you are unbolting the right bolts?

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] I agree, are you sure you are removing the three bolts that go through the assembly holding the compressor. In the pic you can see the two upper bolts, and the third is in the lower bottom, and they can all be removed fairly easily.

4. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

removing the 3 bolts that hold it to the mounting bracket
    (not removing anything on the compressor...)

from the front of the engine, they would be in the 2 o'clock, 5 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions, they are approx. 4 inches long and run through the aluminum bracket, through the compressor and out the back of the bracket again and have a nut on the back.

the bolt heads appear to have one side notched to get around the pulley but they still won't clear it (only about an 1/8" but enough it won't remove)

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you sure you are unbolting the right bolts?

[/ QUOTE ]

5. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

got them out!!! Had to use a screwdriver to take some tension off them but got them out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

haha, i had the same problem.... i didn't even see the flat side of the bolts..... somebody told me about the flat sides.... i turned them, and they slid right out. the sad part is i just about had the clutch off before i figured that out.