Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using FI heads on a carbed 350?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tungsten, Feb 19, 2004.

1. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

Okay, here's a new one on me...

The mechanic who has worked on the K5 Blazer for as long as my grandfather owned it says that he usually puts heads meant for a fuel injected 350 on his carbed motors because they are an inexpensive way of getting a better flowing head.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I understand the better flowing part, but is this just an old trick that I have never heard of before? If so, what heads are typically used? Can I just use heads off of a newer model LT1 with my pre-1986 block, a custom cam, Edelbrock intake and carb?

If this is a cheap way to get more power out of the engine, I am all for it. Someone please fill me in on this.

2. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Which kind of fuel injected heads? Like the TBI or MPI heads? If you want to use newer model heads then vortecs are the best option. The TBI heads are not any better and some are even worse.

3. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

That's the question of the hour, I guess. I have no idea what heads he is talking about either.

Vortec heads have been an option rolling around in my mind for a while now but I'm not sure I want to sink the $500 or so it will take to get them. Are they worth that much of a HP/TQ improvement over the base 350 heads?

4. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Everything i'v heard points to them being worth the money. Their cheaper than aftermarket heads usually. But by the time you spend the 145 bucks for the intake manifold, then you need self centering rockers. So by the time you get all that stuff you might as well get some better aftermarket heads. You could probably get some more complete ones for a junkyard for a good price though.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm betting he's talking about iron L98's. They are pretty comparable to the Vortecs (actually better at low lift numbers IIRC) but have the more "common" intake pattern(s).

Vortecs are about the most common pattern, but you can do a search for all the problems that come with them. Just depends on what you need/want out of your heads.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

$500, geez, just take yours out and have them ported n polished.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you can port/create with a grinder different combustion chambers, different intake runners, and different exhaust ports, I wanna see your magic.

8. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you can port/create with a grinder different combustion chambers, different intake runners, and different exhaust ports, I wanna see your magic.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding.

9. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

If I were you I'd just go with some World S/R Torquer heads. You can get them with 67cc combustion chambers which will bump up your compression and you won't have to buy self-aligning rocker arms or a new intake. Plus, if you go with Vortecs and plan on using EGR, you have to weld a pipe from the intake to the header, just more trouble, that is, of course, if you have EGR now. I've got a TBI system and went with the vortec heads as well as a GMPP aluminum intake when I rebuilt my 350 and I still have problems getting it to run right with the computer. It does have good power though. It's a lot easier with a carbed vehicle but I would still go with the World heads if I were you. Hope this helps.