Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using ford d44 8 lug outers ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudstud, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

What would be involved in using a 79 F250 8 lug set up and putting it on my 76 d44 k5? Would I need from the knuckles out or just the backing plate out? Would I still use my chevy axles? Are the ford 8 lug fronts internal or external hubs?

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

try a search some body had apost about that earlier this week good luck /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

You would need to use everything from the knuckle out, the Ford stuff has 5 studs holding the spindle/brakes where CHevy & Dodge use 6. I doubt you could use the Chevy outers, on a D60 the Ford stubs are shorter so I would assume that the D44 is the same.

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

what are you after? are you in the middle of the 8 lug swap over, I'm putting a 14FF and keeping my 6 lug upfront and using a ring in the back to keep my 6 lug there too...
    8 to 6 lug

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Yes that's what I'm doing. That is a chunk of change for such a simple bracket. For that price I can find front and rear 3/4 ton axles and get a better gear ratio then 3.73. I do see an advantage of allowing you to use an 8 lug spare tire if you are all ready riding on your 6 lug spare. Pretty good prices on the 14 bolt disc brackets though.

So I'd need to swap the knuckles then hu?