Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

using hi lift jack?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Jul 25, 2000.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Okay I got one of these things in my k5, but I don't know how to use it. I know how to lift the jack up and down, just not where to put it under the vehicle to lift safely. Do I need that bumper thing? Thanks.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker kit,33x12.5 goodyear mtr, and 15x10 bajas ordered!

2. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

In the back I put mine under my hitch, and in the front I put it under the bumper on the frame. If you look under your bumper, you can see where the bumper meets the frame. On stock bumpers there is a large "rivet" there. Look for that, and put the jack under it. Works like a charm. Off-road, you may not always be able to get to those, so you have to wing it. I got my front end off the ground enough to free my front tire by jacking under the rubber contact piece of the bumper! I wouldn't get under it lifted that way, but it did what I needed.

I don't think that you can jack up your truck from the side, unless you have nerf bars.

HTH,
    David

3. NightWolf

NightWolf Registered Member

are hi lift jacks a good thing to invest in??

Wolf

This is your brain--Chevy-- This is your brain on drugs--Ford--

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I think about 99.9% of hardcore offroaders use Hi-Lift jacks. Very good reputation.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

A hi lift is one of the first things, if not the VERY first thing you should have before heading out to the trail.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have a base plate added to my hilift just cuz when you start getting tward the top of the lift the rig will tend to sway a bit and the little foot the higlift sits on just doesn't cut it. The plate works great for thoes off camber lifts!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I've used mine to change a tire and to change a motor works as a jack and a lift!! you can lift and pull with it.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

8. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

yeah, also good for winching like mentioned above. Only problem I have is I always for get to have a large board or something around to jack on.....they like to sink in mud real quick like. We've also used them in combination with a winch....to prop the line up to lift the vehicle to a different angle(something easier for the winch to pull)

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

9. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Hi-Lift jacks are one of the best products made for trucks, along with Detroit lockers. They are durable, can be used as a winch, a jack, a vise, or a hoist (if you have a stout tree limb).

Get one as soon as you can, especially if your truck is lifted. The stock bottle jacks won't even get 35s off the ground (at least mine won't), so if you ever want to change your tires, you have to have one! Once you get it you will wonder what you did without it.

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Bolt the piece of wood to the base of the jack, so that the jack won't slide off the piece of wood in an off-camber situation. Also, when you go to lower the jack, flip the jack's reversing lever WITH THE JACK HANDLE IN AN UPRIGHT POSITION! If you don't, the handle will fly up and slap you in the face. Oh yeah, for an extra safety measure put a bolt through the hole right under the jacking mechanism, so if the jack should fail the bolt should catch it(make sure it's, at least, a 1/2 grade 8 bolt).

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

11. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

You can also use a Hi-lift to flop the truck sideways to get out of ruts or hi-center stucks. Jack in the center of the bumper till it gets high enough that you can push the truck sideways to make it fall off the jack.might take a few times but I've moved sideways up to 3-4 ft. Just be CAREFUL the base don't kick out and break your leg.