Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using Houspaint and Cucumbers for a Bodylift

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sandman, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I had to pick up some cucumbers from the grocery store yesterday for personal reasons and I realized that the diameter of them was close to a body lift puck. Now it would be an easy thing to cut them into 3" lenghts and core out the center for the body mount bolts. Now, each cucumber was about 8" long. With the ends cut off, You could get two pucks out of each cucumber. If I remember right, There are 10 body bolts, so, 20 cucumbers will be needed. Now the only problem that I see is that with the ends cut off, The cucumbers could decay and rot and that would drop the body back down over time. The best way to deal with this is to seal it up. A ziplock baggie was looked at but would still have holes in each end for the bolts so some type of sealer would have to be used. Most people already have some house paint laying around in the garage, so why no use that? It can protect my house from the elements, is laytex based, so it should provide a good seal and most colors are available to match any paint styles.

Well, thats stupid. Why not just go to a steel shop and get some pucks made?

Not all of us are comfortable with doing that. It is easy to feel intimidated in that situation and lets face it, Nobody wants to look stupid. Using cucumbers as a body lift option helps us to not look stupid. And you can use a kitchen knife to carve it all out!

I'm also thinking of filling my manual transmission with banana's (peeled of course, I'm not an idiot) to take care of the noises it makes. I'll try to get some pics up later this week.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmmm cucumber huh, so you are saying I wasted money getting my 1" from ORD for the burb? I bet it would increase your flexyness too cause the cucumbers could give when the frame flexes.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have an orange tree , will that work for a limited slip diff fluid , or should I make some guacamole as its thicker.

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Are you planning to market this idea?? I'd buy a set from you /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Just like you feel uncomfortable going in to a machine shop, I on the other hand feel that way buying cucumbers at the store/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Feels like everyone is looking at me /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah something about a grown man buying 20 cucumbers does feel weird. I'd think Orange would be good for motor oil, that would have a cleaning effect on everything cause all the good cleaning things have orange in them!

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had to pick up some cucumbers from the grocery store yesterday for personal reasons

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I don't want to know. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I had to pick up some cucumbers from the grocery store yesterday for personal reasons

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I don't want to know. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

As you should know from this board buying cucumbers from the store is $$$ now if you get them straight from the vender or seller on the side of the road they can be had for soo much cheaper and they are usually larger in diameter which makes for a more stable body mount.

I wonder if squash would work as well... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Do they really work? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I can buy the cucumbers in large quantities from the store without being embarrased because I live in Idaho. Its very rural with many farm animales. I do in fact, this is no joke, live about 70 miles from a gay sheep research station. So I can get whatever I need.

This idea does work. I thought about using rocks as that would be very cheap but the holes would be hard to drill.

The roadside stand is a good idea. I would have to wait untill summer though.

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

This reminds me of the time I made some motor mounts from a dead muskrat...and I'll have to find that video of my smooth shifting SM465 after I filled it with a mixture of bacon fat and powdered Lays potato chips...true story

12. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

If you are interested I have a contact for cheap slightly used cucumbers, I buy them from these 2 men that live together down the street. The cucumbers seem to have some slippery substance on them when I receive them but it comes right off with some engine degreaser. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I was mulling it over with a rooster and a pig and we conclude that its better to pickle the cucumbers in red wine vinegar . This would ultimately strengthen the cucumber body mounts.

14. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

I have heard that the used cucumber works better. The way that they are used has the same effect as shot peening steel, rendering them harder and more durable.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

what if you used tomatoes? That would give a smoother ride as you would be floating on a cushion of fluid? They would wear quicker but the ride and flex benefits may be worth it. If looking for a stronger lift, possibly a potatoe turned onto its end. If color is a big thing possibly a sweet potato.

16. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now, each cucumber was about 8" long. With the ends cut off, You could get two pucks out of each cucumber. If I remember right, There are 10 body bolts, so, 20 cucumbers will be needed

[/ QUOTE ]

10/2 = 5...so I just cut your costs in half /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    10/2 = 5...so I just cut your costs in half

[/ QUOTE ]
    Give this man a medal!

18. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

and for those in colder climates... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [​IMG]
    stackable with chip protection...

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    10/2 = 5...so I just cut your costs in half

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah but he was saying that he would need 20 instead of 5, so you've reduced his cost by 75%! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

To much time in the house /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Ready for Summer to be here already? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif