Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using LED's for rear lights help.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by conoverbandit, Nov 2, 2003.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Using LED\'s for rear lights help.......

I'm looking for a way to "build my own" LED tail lights, I'm not sure of how one would go about this.Does radio shack sell different kinds of "boards to use for this"?
    \i've looked at the parts express catalog, and they list 3-4 LED's, but it saysruns off of 3-5vdc.Our trucks and blazers are 12 vdc, do you have to have a voltage reducer or is this just the amount of power they use? I'm guesing that you put a "bright" and regular LED's in board to get a turn signal? I'd like to build some of these,but need some ideas and help.Thanks.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

Re: Using LED\'s for rear lights help.......

Autozone has the 1157R bulbs that your looking for, use those, those are what im useing. and they are garunteed for 10 years and the only reason one of them didnt work so far was a loose wire going to the socket. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Re: Using LED\'s for rear lights help.......

You just need to use a 5V voltage regulator, also available at Radio Shack (components section).

[ QUOTE ]
    is this just the amount of power they use

[/ QUOTE ]
    It doesn't sound like you've dabbled much in electronics. If you know P=VI and V=IR then you should be able to build it. It's not a complex circuit. Should be able to find something on the net, search for 'LED driver' circuilt. It's probably easier just to swap in LED 'bulbs'.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

after seeing that link I wnet ahead and ordered 3 bulbs. Not nearly certain but I think 2 are turn signals and 1 is stop light. I'm high on my medication right now but I know i ordered 3 led lights for my truck. Whether they will work or whatever I have no idea, just bougth them to see whats up with them and what goes where.

6. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Nope,
    You guessed it,I'm not an eltronic's wiz, but want to learn,I was hoping to come up with a tail light that looks like the new caddy's where the whole thing burns, and then it gets really bright when the turn signal's on.I'm not sure, I may abandon this before I melt my rig /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Thanks Y'all.

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Here is a link to a thread on a motorcycle board where the guy makes his own leds and tells you where to get them LED post

If it doesn't load right the first time just hit refresh once or twice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I tried out those APC LED's in my Suburban, and they hardly showed any light through the stock lenses. They might work with clear lenses, but I had no luck with them at all. In order to get a brighter light I picked up some 3157 plugs at a salvage yard, most newer cars and trucks use them instead of the 1157's. They are a lot brighter when the brakes are on.

Let us know how those LED's work out for you, I might try them again in another location on my truck or if I get another Burb.