Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using Nickel99 rods to weld the a$$ end??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NITRO, Nov 10, 2003.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

has anyone ever used these rods for welding the rear end on a truck? ive always used 6011's, but my dad bought some of these to weld a press. they penetrate really deep and are strong as heck. i welded 2 pieces together and then after figuring i messed up, tried to go back and use the torch to cut the weld off and couldnt even cut the weld with the torch. i hadda use the plasma cutter to get it off. so in my book i tihnk they will work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif thanx guyz

NITRO

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Whose arse end are you planning on welding?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you're closer to him than me so its probably you! LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Nickel rods are used for welding cast iron, they do penetrate deeper and hold stronger but more $, if you had to weld on the actual differential or knuckles of an axle those would be handy

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used Ni-Rod to weld up a cracked cast iron T-case adaptor. It looked ugly /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif but it held up for over three years until I swapped in another adaptor that had never been cracked.

I pre-heated the whole adaptor to about 250 degrees, welded the prepped area that was cracked and then after welding I buried it in a bucket of sand and let it sit for 10 hours. It was still warmer than ambient when I took it out of the bucket so it did cool very slowly.

I don't have a ton of experience with welding cast, but one of my co-workers at the time had done it often enough and told me to do it that way. I can't really argue much because it did hold up just fine...in fact it was still fine when I replaced it.

The big problem with cast is that it is brittle so it doesn't tolerate the rapid expansion and contraction due to the heat of welding. Pre and post heat helps alleviate that to an extent.

Rene

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

so dont use them or do?? they are about $3 each, but i have a buttload of them. like i said, they were used to weld a crack in a huge press and i got what is left over. the steel i welded was T1 and that juss would not budge. good rods. but, should i juss use the 6011's or use these? i really like how they weld cuz there is NO splatter whatsoever. its almost like TIG welding.

NITRO

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you're welding cast use em...if you're welding mild or T-1 use 7018, 7014, MIG, etc etc.

Rene

8. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status