Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using non DOT aproved brake lines??? Should I do it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Sep 11, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about getting some Earls SS brake lines made w/ the correct fittings on them. The price is $28.44 for each line 32" long. Thats with a 10 mm banjo fitting w/ a 30 degree bend in it and a 3/8" inverted flare on the other end. One problem, they are not DOT approved, do you guys think its alright to use them anyways or should I get DOT approved ones? They would be coming from http://my.coredcs.com/~wmeng/ that place. Thanks!

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

BTW- the guy I talked to(owner of shop) said they would be fine, just wanted to see what you guys said. He said they use them on race cars all the time.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

You're going to need to evaluate this find.
    1) They are probably not DOT approved for a reason. (Strength/material?) - I'd ask the guy behind the desk
    2) Is this your only option. The price sounds tempting, but I recall hearing others on this board talk about an "Autozone special."
    3) Are you going to worry each time you step on the brake pedal whether or not you will stop/blow out a front brake line. (Don't laugh. Stopping each time is something that can easily be taken for granted. It only takes one time to hit the Benz in front of you, cause $20,000 in damage to it, and trash your truck. All this for saving a few bucks?)

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I talked to some people. I am going to get the DOT approved ones. For the whole I blow out a brake lines then lawsuit thing.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Good move. I applaud your better judgement.

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ive had a front brake line blow out on me before, and ive also had brakes fail on me while i was backing down a hill, i had to steer into a ditch and was teetering on two tires (crossed up in the ditch front right and back left were only two tires firmly on the ground) Its some Scary sh!t dont mess around with that crap dont look for bargins.... you made a good choice

7. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

If it was offroad only, then I'd say go for it. But since its used on the highway, definitely cover your butt by going DOT approved.

Will

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I believe the DOT rules were changed on brake lines to allow the stainless steel ones.
    perhaps Earls just isnt up to speed on the new test standards.
    I dont think any stainless braided line can pass the old test.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The SS ones Pro-Comp sells are made by Earl's and they are DOT approved. I have no idea why some would be & others not. I bought mine 2 or 3 years ago so the approved ones have been around at least that long. I remember this being a big issue about 5 yrs ago for both trucks and hot rods.

10. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I believe he was going to have some custom made, correct? The Pro Comp, etc. ones are probably mass produced and therefore are all the same, however, the custom ones are not all made the same so the DOT probably wouldnt bother approving just one set of brake lines.

11. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Using non DOT aproved brake lines??? Should I do it?

[/ QUOTE ]
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Chair full of tacks... should I sit?

[/ QUOTE ]

You get the idea I'm sure...

-Dan

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

IIRC DOT sets the standards but they do not run around approving stuff