Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using Rancho 4" lift front springs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Sep 10, 2001.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Using Rancho 4\" lift front springs?

Well, I finally took my truck out this weekend to see what I've got (just bought someone elses incomplete project). I have to say, I'm really disapointed with the Front Rancho springs. Just after getting the motor in on Saturday, I ran it up my street for a test run and over a few speed bumps. Now granted that I didn't have any shocks on it yet ( missing item at purchase) so I expected some bounce. What I didn't expect was what looked like a monster truck freestyle event from the curb(and of course, every subsequent bounce after that). My front end might as well be welded to the axle its so stiff. I'm heading out to get a set of shocks now (I'm half tempted to throw a set of RS5000's on there just to compliment the stiffness of the spring). Anyone running a Rancho 4" front lift with a decent riding shock?

What, Me Worry?

2. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

Re: Using Rancho 4\" lift front springs?

not me! im rough country man!!!
    rough country springs and rough country shocks

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Rancho makes at least two 4" leaf springs. One is the soft ride 86206
    the other is Heavy Duty, and I think has an "S" in the part #.
    If you have the H.D. Put a Winch, and heavy bumper up front to pre-load the springs.
    Good luck

4. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I'm running 4" Rancho springs with 4 Dick Cepeck shocks and you are right--THEY ARE STIFF!!! I always joke that my truck feels like I'm driving a horse carriage with wooden wheels on a cobblestone street. OUCH! But seriously, they are very, very stiff. The good thing about them is they don't sag and last a pretty long time, which is a major plus in my book.

I'll tell you what REALLY improved my ride. I replaced all the body mounts when I installed my body lift, and I could really tell a huge difference in the ride quality. I couldn't believe it, and that's because mine old rubber mounts weren't too bad (at least that's what I thought). Check out your body mounts.

<font color=red>"Maybe you could drive better with that cell phone up your azz?!!!"</font color=red>

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

THEY SUCK. Probably going to yank mine and put the EZ's in.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Re: Using Rancho 4

that's why i got pro-comp 4"s. mine are smooth

what do ya mean " if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
    scott,
    1989 suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 36s, tbi350

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, Executioner hit the nail on the head with Rancho and their two-part-numbers of front springs. The 86206 is the softer-riding spring and the 40054S springs are the firmer riding ones.

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Well, I ended up getting a set of Pro-Comp ES3000's and they did a good job of dampening the Rancho 86206 (no S) 4" front springs and an even better job on the stock rear leafs. Muddysub, can you tell me a bit more about your front axle, tires, motor so I can size them up on how they might perform on mine. Thanks again to everyone who posted, its good to know what people are using and how they feel about it.

What, Me Worry?

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have the Rancho soft ride set and my truck rides better than any lifted straight axle truck I've ever rode in. I have a SWB K10.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I put a set of used 4" Rancho's on my Blazer, and they are as nice as the stock springs. I expected a bad ride, but they ride nice. Maybe because they were broke-in when I got them.

<font color=red>Land use issues.Get involved or all you will be able to do is jump curbs at the mall.</font color=red>

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Well, now that I've got some shocks on there... I'm going to go "break" these Rancho's in one way or another. What I really need is a long parking lot with a lot of cement curbs all lined up in row. I'll just keep making high speed passes with a couple bags of cement on the hood, its bound to soften up sooner or later.

What, Me Worry?

12. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

One thing to also consider in ride quality (which is overlooked by many) is your tire size. Keep in mind that the larger the tire, the "softer" the ride. Even though its a rough ride now, it is much better with the 36" Swampers I run now compared to the 33" BFGs I used to have on it.

<font color=red>"Maybe you could drive better with that cell phone up your azz?!!!"</font color=red>

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Do you have any pics of your truck that shows a side view with your 36's? I'm still trying to make up my mind on how much tire / lift I'm going to be happy with (all this sand out here and such). I like the look of the 39.5 MT Baja Belted, but thats a lot of tire / lift or fender cutting.

What, Me Worry?

14. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Borrego, here is a link to my pics. The first one is with the 4" Rancho lift and the second link is the 4" Rancho along with a 3" body lift:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/mando_alvarez/vwp?.dir=/My+K5&amp;.dnm=7+inches+of+total+lift.jpg&amp;.src=bc&amp;.view=l&amp;.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/mando_alvarez/lst%3f%26.dir=/My%2bK5%26.src=bc%26.view=l

Unless you plan on doing some significant fender trimming, I would NOT recommend running 36" tires with just 4" of lift, especially if you will be running in the sand. My tires rubbed on the fenders just on the street. The 7" of lift is perfect in my opinion for the 36" tires, but I don't know how you feel about body lifts. I would have loved to go all suspension lift but do not want to struggle with driveline vibration anymore than I have to. I will eventually install a 6" lift. If you have anymore questions or would like more pics, let me know.