Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using rocker box as storage?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Triaged, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Has anyone thought of (or actually done it) using the rocker boxes as storage. It seems like alot of wasted space in there. I keep thinking up of too many projects. Maybe I will get something finished that I start........Na......

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

2. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

Thought of it myself, but I was thinking of the stretch longbed custom camper style beltline toolbox goodie. I asked Jerry Moss [6772chevyfool] about it and he said the toolbox door was too long for the K/5 body, "You'd have room for about a pair of gloves, that's all." he said. He also told me F#rd might have a useable door, but I never went that route.
    I know the U.S Customs guy at Nogales was real interested in my rocker boxes when I came back from a dive trip to San Carlos 2 years ago -- he kept tapping and poking under there.
    I think packrats may have accessed the area at one time because once I saw a ball of cholla cactus almost coming out of the 7/8' drain hole and it couldn't have gotten in there by itself. [Packrats use cacti to build defensive fortifications around their nests. Nasty buggers]
    Lastly, I know there were "slipper" auxiliary tanks for the fleetside but I'm not sure if they are right for the K/5 w/o major modification. Even 5-7.5 gallons per side would help my k/750 guzzler -- may even lower the center of gravity (when full). Who knows? Perhaps custom-fabricated fuel tanks for the rocker box positions?
    Good Luck

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

My dad did that in the back of his Sub.He put 2 in the very back ,one on each side between the frame and the side of the truck.They were 16 gauge steel about 10"x16"x10" deep.Used the carpet from the holes to cover the hinged lids .The lids were secured with stainless aircraft type latches.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</A>

4. kilomanjaro

kilomanjaro 1/2 ton status

there is an access plate in the back of them that bolts on and off. it would be a good place to HIDE stuff. hehe. personally i just take them off to pressure wash out the boxes occasionally(to prevent rust)

5. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

The only problem with this idea, is that there is a rod that runs diagonally front to back inside them. Could take alot of space out of your storage area. Would be nice though!

6. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

You would have to seal it up too. I like to call the rocker boxes the "dirt scoops". Ever opened one up? The engineer that designed that was an idiot! But still a cool idea. Maybe a drop down compartment hinged in the back like on the airline overheads?

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replys!
    I havent looked into them yet (except through the rust hole in the rocker). It sounds like alot of work. I had thought of the box like on the p/u but it sounds like it won't fit. I am going to do the body work some time and thought that while I was at it that would be cool to do. I was also thinking of replacing the rocker with square or rectagular steel tubing. Maybe I could put some air tanks in them for the on board air I plan on doing.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

8. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever replaced their rocker boxes with tubing or angle iron? Would it work?

Thanks guys,

Rod

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://72blazerod.coloradok5.com>http://72blazerod.coloradok5.com</A>

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am not replacing the boxes but I am replacing the rockers with square tubing for rock protection and other things. I have one of my rockers removed and the inside of the box is completly exposed. I am coating the inside with grey POR-15.
    For storage I also just built a parts box/drawer that fits in the rear of my bed. the only way to open the drawer is to drop the tailgate. It's not complete yet but should serve well as a single location for ALL my parts and gear!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

10. fatdog

fatdog Registered Member

When I got my 1st blazer a 70', it had high back ( i think 74') camaro seats in it shakily mounted on 2x4's. I solved this problem and gained storage by making a set of boxes out of 16 gauge plate that fit the floor contour with tabs to bolt to the original seat holes. On the outside of each, was a door made from the same plate with a small 90 degree camming latch similar to a wood stove door latch, and a piano style hinge. The camaro seat was then bolted to the top of the box. The opening in the door was just tall enough to fit an average size spay can into. It worked out great, the storage capacity wasn't huge, but you could keep stuff like jumper cables, wd40, towropes, small tool kits, flares etc... in them. The only downside issues if you can call them that (I didn't mind) was 1) you sat a little higher in the blazer than compared to a factory seat. However, I'm 6'1" and still had plenty of head room. 2) The passenger seat didn't lift forward to access the rear.

Just Ramblin'
    Rob

Proclaimed GM Junkie