Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using SOAP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DuneRunner, Sep 18, 2001.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Today I started to replace the factory rear bushings. I found that drilling the rubber was harder
    than I had planed. I broke 2 bits and tweaked my back a little. After 1.5 hours I finished getting
    only the passenger side of the rubbers off. That's where the SOAP comes in, I put a little down
    the sides of the rubber bushing. I let it penetrate and then the Sledge came out and a Punch.
    BamB Then came the steel sleeves. That took 25 min. Using the most primitive of tools
    (Hack saw, Old drill and a vice, mini sledge and a couple of punches and a little sweat) I was
    successful. Tomorrow I will bring out the Saws All and Do the drivers side the right way...

Has anyone else done it differently? (I don't have access to a torch)
    Later, KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

My usual method is a dose of something flammable and a match - it's quick and easy to char them out[​IMG]

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. DuneRunner

A little Lighter Fluid and a match?

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

That's it[​IMG] Let the rubber soak up the fluid for a few minutes, and toss the match on it - it may take 2 or 3 tries, but the bushing will get small enough it will just fall right off.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah burning them out is the way to go. I usually use a cutting torch though. But i dont see why lighter fluid and a match wouldn't work.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

6. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

Sounds like Pugsley should keep a fire extinguisher handy....[​IMG]

Shane

Never argue with idiots; They will drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience [​IMG]

7. DuneRunner

I can't wait to try it when I get home....

Thanks Guys.
    KEN

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I do[​IMG] I actually set my workbench on fire doing that once[​IMG]

9. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i have never heard that. thats awesome idea.

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

10. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I just removed the stock rubber bushings from all 4 of my springs too (except they were new, to replace them with urethane ones)

anyways the burning trick crossed my mind but I wasnt sure how well it would work.. Now I know I should have done it.. the bigger ones pounded out well enough but the small ones were a B!TCH!! Took a lot of elbow grease and some serious hits with a hammer but they eventually came out..

mike

11. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

ya burning is GOOD is stick my propane torch inside the sleeve and melt away.

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

12. DuneRunner

I put the passenger side back together today. It was a little tight but fits good.
    Started to take apart the drivers side and ran out of day light. Tomorrow I will try the Propane torch. and The lighter fluid trick first, I wanta see if that works It'll Be FUN!
    Q. Should I heat up the small steel sleave that the bolt goes through or should I melt the rubber?

Thanks guys for the advice...
    KEN

13. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Just burn out the rubber - after a few minutes of burning, it will start charring, and essentially turning to dust.

14. DuneRunner

OOOO YYYAAAAA
    Thanks for the encouraging words to use the Propane torch.
    I heated up the inner steel sleeve. (the one that the bolt goes through) and before you know it. Its out...
    I had to then drill out a little of the rubber. and then hack saw the inner sleeve AGAIN. Thanks again KEN