Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using spring bushings for motor mounts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Mar 19, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of converting a 2wd to a 4x4 right now and am making a custom engine crossmember. I am planning on using ORD's polly spring bushings for my motor mounts and was wondering if anyone has done this or knows of a reason not to. I will post pics of the crossmember when I get home tomorow.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ORDs competition motor mounts use a polyurathane bushing and ive seen a few guys over on pirate use spring bushings for the motor mounts. do i don't see a problem with them.

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You need to make motor mounts captive. That way when the rubber ****s out your motor doesn't fall out. Most aftermarket motor mount setups aren't captive (like all the Jeep V8 swap ones that use S10 body mounts for motor mount rubbers).

Use factory style motor mounts. If they are too weak due to a blown bigblock or something, use Milodon motor mounts. They don't break.

4. afroman006

If I use spring bushings they will be captive. Right now I have a piece of 1/4 wall 2" seamless tube that the bushings will go into and then the motor mount bolt through the bushing. I thought about trying to make the factory mounts work but it would require alot more fabrication. The engine is a bone stock 6.2L diesel.

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

you might consider calling the PROTHANE manufacturer direct,,, telling them what you are doing... they may have bushing that have a different durometer that would be better than suspension bushings...

I found their tech guy VERY helpful...

he told me one or two companies make all the poly stuff for everyone

cam

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The AutoFab mounts are made that way, as are the Rockstomper and Total Chaos. A friend bought rubber spring eye bushings from Metro Molded Parts rather than use urethane for the engine mounts in his flat fender.

7. afroman006

Here's some pics of my crossmember. In case you are wondering yes the motor mounts are gonna be supported more but this was all I had time to do. You get the idea.

transform4.jpg

transform5.jpg

transform7.jpg