Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using TBI fuel tank with carbed engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 75-K5, Aug 1, 2006.

1. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Is this possible? I have an '87 K5 that used to have TBI. All TBI stuff including engine, etc. has been removed but the tank is still there with the in-tank electric pump. If I want to run a carbed engine, can I just rig up some electricity to the in-tank pump and have it pump through the manual pump on the block, or will this cause problems? IIRC, some manual pumps are passive and let gas through when they're not turning, and some are blocked off if they are not in use.

2. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

You should be able to retain the in tank pump, but I would by-pass the mechanical pump completely.

Buy a fuel pressure regulator and plump the supply and return lines into it, the outlet will go directly to the carb inlet. You will need to buy conversion fittings to go from the stock, metric O-ring fittings to either -AN or NPT if you want to retain the factory fuel lines. Summit sells these fittings.

You'll have to supply a the fuel pump relay with switched +12v from the ignition, because the ECU is what controlled the pump. There is also a small test lead hanging off the fuel pump relay, if you connect it to +12V the pump should turn on.

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Good deal...thanks for the info!