Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using the spare for rotation...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Jan 23, 2007.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well, it`s getting time to buy new tires soon, but I wanted to ask this question. Those of you with a full size spare, are you running a "baldy" (real low thread, but still usable as a spare), or are your running a regular tire (same tread as others)??? The reason I ask, is because I want to find out if it`s worth having a 5th tire that you can use for when you rotate. So instead of 4, you have 5...What is everyone running?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have a used tire that is the same as my other 4. I bought all 5 of mine used so I took the worst one and it was designated as the spare. When I go new I will get a 5th as a spare and it will get rotated into the mix with the other 5 to ensure even wear unless I go with Iroks as they are directional and I do not want to break down a tire everytime I rotate. Your spare should be within 2" of diameter of the tires you run.

Ira

3. NEK5

Yea. Just wanted to see how many out there had a 5th tire, which they added to their rotation...

4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Yes, Ben, you bet I have 5 full size tires! Rotation is key to the life of aggressive mud tires, especially TSL's and Boggers!

[​IMG]

Rotation will occur every 5,000 miles. My friend Nick asked me this question the other day: "How are you gonna lift that spare into the bed with a 10" lift?"

[​IMG] I haven't thought of an answer yet. My bad!

Manny

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yep, I've got a full-size spare.... ever wonder about this pic?

[​IMG]

Had a tire at Pismo Beach that wouldn't hold air, so I swapped this "greenie" on there. I had some bright green paint sitting around and figured it would make it easy to locate my tire/wheel if someone decided to "borrow" it out of my truck. :D

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Yep full size spare. How do I lift it. A lot of grunt. 37/12.50/17 krawlers and yes I will rotate it in.

On my exploder with 31's the spare is full size but different tread so I won't mix it in. Plus its under the vehicle.

ck51.jpg

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a full size 44 spare that does not get rotated in. it's a baldy and different tread pattern.

Manny, getting the spare in the back is easy. if you have to do it on flat ground use an 8' 2x4 as a ramp. roll the tire up it. if you can back up to a mound of dirt, a lower pickup, anything then it cuts the angle down greatly. In the field you are going to need a friend to help heave it up there.:crazy:

8. NEK5

Is it worth having a 5th tire to add into the rotation?

9. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

get a bald p.o.s. for a spare and rotate the other 4.

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

oh come on ira, nothing like running them backwards for one rotation:haha: i had iroks, got rid of them. next set will be bigger iroks and i think i will rotate them (run them backwards when necessary) rotating the tires really does make a huge difference in the lift of them. swampers dont last that long as it is, i want to maximumize it as much as possible, cuz they are $$$$

11. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I now have 4 full size spares, all good tires. I just keep one in the bed and the rest stay in the garage. So I have 3 35x12.5 r15 BFG A/Ts for sale, if anyone is interested...

I have gotten 2 flat tires off road and I am really happy to now have an insurance policy if that happens again...

Now all I need is a jack... :surepal: