Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using trac bars to adjust pinion angle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mciahpv, Oct 13, 2005.

1. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

Does anybody have any advice on setting preload with traction bars? I'm running 8" Superlift springs on my '86 K5 and recently went to the ORD shackle flip kit (GREAT product, btw) Anyway, doing away with my 4" blocks rotated my pinion upwards. I was already running Superlifts Trac bars, which attach to the floater plate on top of the spring pack. These were installed by someone else, so I don't know how they set the preload. They only have adjustments on one end, so you have to set the length before installing (can't add/remove pressure like with a double heim joint or 4-link)

Anybody have any suggestions? I know I should probably just shim it, but even then I'll need to adjust these things correctly to avoid axle wrap. Do I compress/droop the springs to get movement, then attach? Do I do the same on both sides, or do I want competing pressure to stabilize the axle? Or should I ditch this setup altogether and go to a ladder bar or similar set up? I hear L&L makes a decent set.

Here's a couple of pics to illustrate, and thanks in advance for the advice...

Pinion1.jpg

Pinion3.jpg

Pinion4.jpg

Pinion5.jpg

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't believe there should be any preload on the traction bars, rather the adjustment is just for length. It is also not the correct method to adjust the pinion angle as all it would do is to put excess pressure on the springs and cause binding.

In any case, with 8" rear Superlift springs I doubt you have any real need for traction bars anyway.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I second the above.

4. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would remove the shim that is on the spring pack and see how it looks then. maybe all you need or a smaller one.

5. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ooops sorry missed where you said you know about the shims. No I would not use the trac bar to adjust it too much stress on the bars

6. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

You really think I don't need the bars? I added them because soon after swapping in the Superlift springs, I was experiencing a LOT of pinion movement up and down whenever I torqued on it. (Of course, that was before the shackle flip when I still had 4" blocks.) The trac bars seemed to stop the pinion movement.

I noticed that I was seeing some of this movement again after the shackle flip, which is what made me think that I needed to adjust the trac bars/preload.

Thanks for all the help...