Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

USMC "Angels"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Apr 6, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Click heah!

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cool!

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Still photo from the video!
    [​IMG]

Aerial Photography of Two United States Marine Corps KC-130 Hercules Aircraft, Assigned to Marine Aerial Refueler-Transport
    Squadron Two Thirty Four (VMGR-234), Firing Flares That Are Used for Protection Against an Attack by
    Surface-to-Air Missiles During Operation Iraqi Freedom, September 4, 2003
    Al Jumhuriyah al Iraqiyah – Republic of Iraq

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

That really is somethin else.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Cool! That squadron (VMGR-234) is a Marine Corps Reserve unit out of NAS(JRB) Ft. Worth. IIRC, their callsign is "Cowboy"...

6. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

wonder why they called them angel's

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

:confused: :confused: :confused:
    Ummmmmmmm...

Look at the shape of the smoke clouds behind the aircraft.

8. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Angles of death !!!

Those are some bad ass planes,,,

1-105mm Howitzer:eek1: :eek1: :eek1::eek1:

and 2 of these...

The M61 20mm Vulcan is an externally powered, six-barrel, rotary-fire gun having a rate of fire of up to 7200 spm. The firing rate is selectible at 4,000 spm or 6,000 spm. The gun fires standard electrically primed 20mm ammunition. The M61A1 is hydraulically or ram-air driven, electrically controlled, and uses a linkless ammunition feed system.

Each of the gun's six barrels fires only once during each revolution of the barrel cluster. The six rotating barrels contribute to long weapon life by minimizing barrel erosion and heat generation. The gun's rate of fire, essentially 100 rounds per second, gives the pilot a shot density that will enable a "kill" when fired in one-second bursts.

100 rounds per second!!!!!!! holy **** !!!!!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

AC-130H Spectre AC-130U Spooky Primary Function:Close air support, air interdiction and armed reconnaissance Contractor:Lockheed Aircraft Corp. Power Plant:Four Allison turboprop engines T56-A-15 Thrust:Each engine 4,910 horsepower Length:97 feet, 9 inches (29.8 meters) Height:38 feet, 6 inches (11.7 meters) Maximum Takeoff Weight:155,000 pounds (69,750 kilograms)Wingspan:132 feet, 7 inches (40.4 meters) Range:1,500 statute miles (1,300 nautical miles)
    Unlimited with air refueling2,200 nautical miles
    Unlimited with air refueling Ceiling:25,000 feet (7,576 meters)30,000 ft. Speed:300 mph (Mach 0.40) (at sea level) Armament: two M61 20mm Vulcan cannons
    with 3,000 rounds
    one L60 40mm Bofors cannon
    with 256 rounds
    one M102 105mm howitzer
    with 100 rounds One 25mm GAU-12 Gatling gun
    (1,800 rounds per minute)
    one L60 40mm Bofors cannon
    (100 shots per minute)
    one M102 105mm cannon
    (6-10 rounds per minute) Countermeasures AN/AAQ-24 Directional Infrared Countermeasures (DIRCM)
    AN/AAR-44 infrared warning receiver
    AN/AAR-47 missile warning system
    AN/ALE-47 flare and chaff dispensing system
    AN/ALQ-172 Electronic Countermeasure System
    AN/ALQ-196 Jammer
    AN/ALR-69 radar warning receiver
    AN/APR-46A panoramic RF receiver
    QRC-84-02 infrared countermeasures system
    Crew:14 -- five officers (pilot, co-pilot, navigator, fire control officer, electronic warfare officer); nine enlisted (flight engineer, loadmaster, low-light TV operator, infrared detection set operator, five aerial gunners) 13 total. Five officers (pilot, copilot, navigator, fire control officer, electronic warfare officer); 8 enlisted (flight engineer, All Light Level TV operator, infrared- detection set operator, four airborne gunners, loadmaster) Unit Cost:$46.4 million (1992 dollars)$72 million Date Deployed:19721995 Inventory: Active force, 8;
    Reserve, 0;
    ANG, 0 13 aircraft assigned to 16th Special Operation Wing's 4th Special Operations Squadron.

9. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

uhm ... thanks tips.

got sarcasam?

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Sorry dude, it didn't come through the computer... It's all good!

wasted wages - Those are KC-130T's. The Air Force flies the AC-130's, not the Corps.

11. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

We need those ****ers on our Borders NOW ! Just give a big show and make some big holes , line out some tanks every 2 miles and I bet noone will cross that line . Those 105mm howies could really take out the drug smugglers :eek1: . I think we need to drop a few 500lb bunker busters too :haha: .

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

100% WRONG. That is NOT an AC 130 of any vintage.

The title says Marine KC130. That means tanker, and you can also tell they are tankers by the outboard refuel pods-properly name Sargent Fletcher pods. The primary mission of these aircraft are to provide aerial refueling using the "hose and drogue" method.

What they are doing is a "flare dump" That is not the way the system works in actual operation. If you dumped all your flares at once you have no more protection. There are also chaff buckets in equal # to the flares. I've got series of 8x10s of a C130J doing a flare dump, shot from a King Air, over CA, when we were out at Edwards AFB doing flight test on them.

There are an incredible number of 130 variants. I've been lucky enough to work on 7 distinct models.

13. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

It's still a C-130.....

14. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cool video. Yeah it's funny so many of the AC-130 videos on the net are just flare dumps. They look cool and all, but they aren't a weapon at all they are just a decoy for heat seeking weapons. I bet the Ordies love it when the aircrew does that and they get to re-do all those chaff/flare buckets LOL. How many buckets of each are on a 130? I know we have 4 buckets on the F18's that hold around 30 each.

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

There are 4 30 rounders in the front + what's in the back... I can't remember how many are in back!!! I just realized its been 5 years since I left Lockheed-Martin! I have to see if I kept any of the info, but I doubt it.