Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UTI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Has anyone here attended UTI. Universal Technical Institute? I am thinking about going there next year. I have heard it is a really good school, and would like to get opinions, and facts on it. Thanks

Harley

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I attended UTI in Az.I took the auto/diesel/auto trans courses.The classes were good and most of the instructors were very knowledgeable.They can find you an apartment and help you find a job while your in school and after you graduate.

3. Hossbaby50

Was the school worth the time and money? How long does it take to get your certification and all that other junk. I am thinking about attending there, and becoming a mechanic. I would also like to attend the Hotrod U course they offer too. I am hoping to get into a specialized trade in the auto world, like performance engine rebuiilds. Is UTI a good place to go to get this type of training? In the general classes, do they start with the basics, or do they expect you to know certain things when you get there? I know a fair amount about cars and mechanics, but I am not a wizz by any means. Thanks

I am currently attending college, but I have basically figured out there is nothing for me to major in that I would like to do, and I like cars alot, and doing mechanic work so I figured that UTI might be for me.

Also I live about 3 blocks from the UTI campuses in Phx, so housing wouldn't be a big deal. Thanks

Harley

4. FRIZZLEFRY

I think it is worth the time and money.One great thing about the courses is that you start with the basics and advance from there.

Going there was a great way to figure out what direction you might like to go also.I knew I wanted to work on stuff but I didnt know what.By taking the auto/diesel/auto trans courses you get to get a taste of everything there is out there.

5. Hossbaby50

Thank you for your time an help. I will definitly factor what you said into my decision on what I am going to do. I have alot of thinking to do about what I am going to do. Thanks again for the help

Harley

6. FRIZZLEFRY

Oh,and if ya take the 3 courses like I did I think you get through it in about 9 mo to 1 yr and have your degree.I spent about a year and a half there cuz I goofed off a little and partied ALOT /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. FRIZZLEFRY

Have you gone to there web site yet.<a target="_blank" href=http://www.uticorp.com/utiedu/>http://www.uticorp.com/utiedu/</a> Lots of info there.By flipping through their catalog it looks like they have alot to offer.

8. Hossbaby50

No, I haven't been there yet, thanks for the link. I just figured this summer when I get home. After all I only live 3 blocks away. But I will check out the site too. Thanks for your help.

Harley

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

When did you go Friz? Because the school has changed alot resently. My friends dad is a teacher over there, and my budy went there. They have alot of people their on grants that dont care, and hurt other people from learning. Not only that you only have so many days to learn things, that you end up not finishing the rest of the program. So basically you learn about half of it. Its also over 20,000 for the 9 months as well. The diesel part of it is good though, along with the dealer parts likw the Ford training ect.

10. Hossbaby50

The price for Colorado State is about $22K for 9 months, so the price is about equal. Is the program over there still pretty good?

11. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

back in 1998 i took a tour of UTI...i had wanted to go..but my dad talked me out of it...i still wish i would have gone anyway...

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i start classes at the houston campus in january/forums/images/icons/smile.gif auto/diesel with nascar.

13. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

UTI = Un Trained Idiots! Well....thats what we see graduating from there in the shop anyways...hehehe. Had to take the shot...there is a teacher there that worked in our shop for a while...Her name is Marlow....book smart...no common sense and thinks she knows everything....

I would say UTI would beat out AAI any day though. Also the factory training programs by Ford GM Chrysler out at GCC are even better than UTI. Basically a dealer here in town sponsers you... and you sign a contract for so many years as they are funding your education....you go thru FACTORY schools and learn a lot more...and work for said dealership while you learn...upon completion of the schooling you have to work for that dealership for x amount of years in return for the schooling.

Azblazer

14. Hossbaby50

That factory thing sounds good, but I don't want to be somebodys slave because they paid for my school. I would rather pay for it myself and have the freedom to work anywhere. I worked at Courtesy Chevy in the parts Dept. for 2 months, and I didn't like the experience. They treat you like crap most of the time, and I really didn't like it that much there. Most people were arigant a**holes most of the time. And I won't work for Sands Chevy, they tried to screw me over on my GM crate motor that went bad awhile back. God knows I am not going to work for a Furd dealer or Dog dealer. That would treason.

15. FRIZZLEFRY

I was there in 91-92.There is always a couple of goof balls in every class but for the most part the people in the classes were there to learn .I never saw a problem with not having enough time to finish a course.We always had enough time .The diesel course is very good.You get alot of hands on.It was cool because it covered transport refrigeration,air brakes,hydrolics,Allison transmissions,and manual trannys as well.All that on top of all the diesel engine courses.You tear apart,reassemble, and tune all different makes and sizes of diesel engines.Fun stuff /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

And yes,UTI=Un Trained Idiot /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif