Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

utilitarian k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by original balzer, Jan 1, 2005.

1. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

the only gage that works in my blazer is the feul gage in my attemts to make it very basic and utilitarian almost military in its basic needs i want to replace all the gages with aftermarkets (VDO or autometer) i was wondering if anyone has built a custom dash i might see some pics of for ideas thanks

willow

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm right in the middle of doing this..

couple approachs to it... full custom....
    [​IMG]

and the more stock look

[​IMG]
    i'm going for the stock look, retaining the dashpad.. tho i'm making my dash from fiberglass, not reusing the plastic.. same principal, 3 flat panels joined, with angle tubes out the back for correct gauge angle... i'll take pics of my build...

4. original balzer

thanx that looks like a nice instal but one question is the camera angle what makes them look like they point down or do they actualy

willow

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

install info

i am doing the same take the bezel like the first reply and dont cut that much . i found that all those sizes fit in and just need to enlarge the holes and clearence the back side. then it will look like the last pic above me but facing more up to you the driver. i did auto phantoms with all black bezel WOW:thumb:

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am considering doing something similar to the full on custom setup. My plans is to tube brace it all up and tie in with the cage, but smaller tube for the dash skeleton and just screw in some aluminum panels, cut the holes for the gauges. I am going to try and keep my heater so I can be warm on those cold winter days. Thinking of some custom ducts and vents. Still a plan in my head for now, but will soon become a reality.

7. ryoken

cool... integrating it with the cage should be badass.. i wish i could take the time to do the whole thing but i'm DDing mine so i'm trying to keep it sane and just making the insert part... probably be driving around for the next month with 1/2 the dash out as it is.. lotta labor, just getting ready to glass up the panels now and cutting angle tube.. just got my painless indicator lights today for beams, turns and check engine...:woot:

8. original balzer

thanks guys i want full custom im thinking of cutting the original dash just above the glovebox all the way across to keep the lower part and just square up the top section i will be keeping the heater and also a simple sterio system as well as a CB i want the sterio and heater more in the center for easy access due to alot of camping trips ext. where i play the radio while around the fire and its easyier to get too from either side i gues the easiest way to figure it out is to dive straight into it

P.S. for those wanting to retain closer to stock with a little custom look i sugest moveing the sterio to where the center A/C duct is thats how i currently have mine and get alot of complements on it i also used diamond plate alum cut to fit the center dash trim area and a piece over the old sterio hole where i have all my switches for lights ect. (A/C pump got converted to onboard air so the duct wasnt useful and all the ducting in the dash got removed)

willow

9. ryoken

ya mean here? :D

[​IMG]

10. original balzer

HELL YEA! looks good i thought about the gauges there in the old sterio hole too but visibility was not ideal

willow

11. ryoken

yeah, that was a temporary solution. they aren't the easiest to read down there, plus the angle is wrong. those will be above the heater controls, where the vent used to be in the new dash... i'm thinking of a CB where the stereo was, but for now i'll leave it blank in the new dash...

12. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

That bottom panel (stock look) is awesome. What brand gauges are those and what model truck is it going in? Did you just do away with the printed circuit used for the original gauges?

13. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

That bottom panel (stock look) is awesome. What brand gauges are those and what model truck is it going in? Did you just do away with the printed circuit used for the original gauges?

14. ryoken

not my stuff.. the custom one was tweetysaurus's truck, someone posted the stockish looking one on here awhile back... the stock one is using Autometer Pro Comps, which is what i run..

mine will look like that but it will be smooth black fiberglass as opposed to the plastic... and yeah, ya ditch the whole board assembly and just hardwire the gauges.. i'm making the gauge wiring with a little extra length and a plug assembly so i can pull the dash and just disconnect the harness for easy access...

15. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Good God is that Tach big enough?:confused:

16. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

You guys must be reading my mind. I was contemplating all the very same stuff myself.

I think my biggest complaint is the stock radio location. It's a pain in the ass to adjust for the driver, and pretty much impossible for the passenger. I like the relocation ryoken did, especially since I don't have AC anyways.

I'm still debating whether I'm going to do a full custom dash, or just the instrument cluster. I like the one Paul referenced. I would like to do an ingnition switch and push button start along with the dash work. Like this:
    [​IMG]

Always thought that would be cool.:o :D

17. ryoken

just realize if you do it the way the first link is that Paul put up, they will be angled down somewhat... the flat panel makes it by far the easiest method tho...

18. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

all the guages looks REALLY good, i think the way on the first link look the best IMO,(i basically like the way the guages look) but it seems as if it would be pointing straight out, just lke you are looking straight over top of the guages. any remedy?

19. ryoken

hehe, alot of interest in dashs around here lately. :haha: couple other threads going on this right now..

the remedy i came up with is a 1-piece unit with angle tubes out the back to correct the angle. basically like the stock dash shape but out of fiberglass, and fitted to the Autometers. pics should be up in a week or so... just started the tubes for the smaller gauges tonight. speedo and tach are done...