Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

utility Co. employment, and a Q for those of you who were working manufactu

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Dec 3, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Qestion 1:
    will utilities train ppl ? what do they look for in a person to consider them for employment for them ?

question 2: for those of you who did have a job in manufacturing sector until the last year or two now when it all went to crap; what have you happened to find for a new job ?

i aks all this because im still trying to find new employment, the only unskilled work you could ever find around here- besides restaurant work- was manufacturing, but since at least one in six of those jobs are now gone- at least in IL according to recent news- and have been replaced by outsourcing and automation and so forth, we wont be getting those jobs back and so now have to find other work somehow in which im still doing after a year and a half now

i do know of one open position at the local former american freightways that fed ex bought out not too long ago out next to I-55, they need one more truck repair guy and a friend of mine has been working for them for about a year and a half now i think he started as the tire and wheel guy and now is in the shop doing actual full blown repairs, im going to go out there tomorrow and fill out paperwork and hope for the best. other than that there are no other jobs to try for here, but i am at the too of the list for getting newly employed by Inland Tool Inc. in Mt Pulaski(very tiny town south of here) but they are manufacturing and i highly doubt they will call any more ppl in anytime in the near future.

thanks for anything, i appreciate

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: utility Co. employment, and a Q for those of you who were working manuf

Hmmmmmmm......."Utilities" is a pretty broad scope. Are you referring to field work or support staff? Our company employs a vast array of professionals, both blue and white collar. For every guy in the field there's two in the office handling paperwork, scheduling, filing, job planning, engineering, etc.... If you're interested in getting into a field position be prepared to be a grunt for a while. Most of the training is on the job, and a few times a year I have to partake in specialized industry training like Confined Space Rescue and other courses that our company outsources.

My best advice is to find out which industry requires any of your current knowledge/training. Some outfits like a guy who has the basics like 1st Aid, too.

Too bad you didn't live up here. I go through grunts like crazy because most of the kids in this area can't handle the pace or aren't physically fit enough for the kind of work we do- having to run a jackhammer for a couple of hours in -30'C separates the men from the boys in a hurry.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Re: utility Co. employment, and a Q for those of you who were working manuf

[ QUOTE ]
    having to run a jackhammer for a couple of hours in -30'C separates the men from the boys in a hurry.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Did just that for several months in Colorado Springs a couple winters ago and yes It will seprate the men from the boys.