Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

UUGGHHH John's workers are the WORST!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudNurI, Oct 30, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

UUGGHHH John\'s workers are the WORST!

It's ironic that some people are able to post whatever they choose to post, and not get any sh*t about it, however when I post I am basically being told I am ungratelful for what I have...and have no sympothy for "workers"...

Brandy

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: UUGGHHH John\'s workers are the WORST!

Can you say " insentive program" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifloser gets to find a new job.....Winner gets big raise....

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Tell John to hire better guys........

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Everyone is gonna have problems. I wouldn't take lunch for 16 bucks an hr. BTW what do you do for a living?

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

john should be careful about holding a paycheck. probable grounds for a lawsuit, no matter how far backward he's bent for the guy.

and the top pay you mentioned is 32K a year. that's not too much.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Agreed on the pay check...

$16.32 an hour 60 hours a week is a lot more than 32K though. Even at straight time it's almost 50K, factor in overtime and it would be a lot more.

Rene

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Get rid of one or two of those guys and hire me. I will take the stress off of John. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here at work, I put up with my boss, who seems to be unable to run things smoothly. He is always so moody and gripes about everything. I let it go in one ear and out the other and do things correctly and immediately, before he can even see that the job gets started.

He is the biggest stress for me at work. His crying, moanin, whining and bitching about everything makes me wonder when I come to work in the mornings if he has kicked the bucket or not. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. delta9blazer

standard work week is 40hrs
    16.32 x 40 = 652.80 per week x 52 weeks = 33,945.60 per year.
    overtime is extra, missed days aren't paid for.

take your hourly wage, double it and add a zero, and that's your approximate yearly salary.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    standard work week is 40hrs
    16.32 x 40 = 652.80 per week x 52 weeks = 33,945.60 per year.
    overtime is extra, missed days aren't paid for

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but she also said 60 hours a week. So your figure plus 20 hours (60-40) at 1.5 (time and a half) which is $24.48/hr (*20 for hours *52 for weeks) which equals an additional $24,459.20 for a grand total of $59,404.80 close to $60K with benefits/bonuses etc., plus John has helped out with their personal issues. Granted it would be nice to make that in a 40 hour week, but for most (and those with limited education NOT intelligence), that is not a bad amount, at least in OUR region. Our cost of living is lower, so our pay is lower. It would not be a good pay in cities in Cali or NY or GA, but for the area it is good/great pay. That needs to be factored in as well. Also the ability to work OT. Some places won't let you work OT to keep costs down. You can make $25 an hour, but can't make more than $52,000 a year, whereas you can make $16 and make close to 60K. Granted you work more and mabey harder, but you have the option. Sometimes the extra $$ can make the difference as to what school/college your child attends, the healthcare they receive, vacations you take, etc. it is more than just a dollar per hour issue.

I'm assuming Rene did a quick calculation using base pay at 60 hours and new it would be higher considering time and a half was not factored in....or I could be wrong again /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Base pay *2080 will get you a good ballpark figure if you work hourly at 40 hours a week with two weeks paid vacation and paid holidays.

10. delta9blazer

my bad. i missed the 60 hrs/wk statement.
    plus i live in cali, and two people working for 16 an hour barely cut it here.
    add daycare, and it's all over.

11. Leadfoot

I hear ya there. My sister and bro-in-law live outside of Oakland. He makes good money (nomatter what part of the country you are from), but says he'ld live like a king if he lived where we do making the same money, but then again, he would never make that kind of money in our area (even in Boston). Their pay is higher (both he AND my sister work), but their cost of living and real estate prices are friggin' outragous!

I have had several job offers outside the state for more money, and all except one would have actually been more in the long run due to cost of living differences.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm assuming Rene did a quick calculation using base pay at 60 hours and new it would be higher considering time and a half was not factored in....or I could be wrong again

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, quick and dirty mental math...LOL

Rene

13. Leadfoot

Yup, quick and dirty mental math

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you an accountant for Enron? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

J/K /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

....John co-signs for him...gets a 97 2500 p/u.

[/ QUOTE ]

let me get this strait, John co-signs for a car loan for an employee? so if this fella fails to pay or skip town with the car John's left with the bill? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifHOLLY sh!t that was a mistake. IMHO

15. Can Can

Here's my additional comments now that I have more time:

Re: #1- Withholding a paycheque is illegal. And John co-signing a loan for an employee is asking for trouble.

Re: #2- A guy complains because he's forced to drive a truck that's not working properly? I don't blame him. I would do the same thing. And you call him a "freakin' baby"? Do you realize that if something happened on the road because the truck was broken it's the employees problem, not John's? I'll bet John knows that.

Re: #3- Did you ever stop to think that the tipping floor guy made a mistake? Are you perfect? Is John?

MAN I tell ya, sometimes I think it would be easier to be the "working man" than the boss man... A LOT less sh*t to deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just in case you didn't notice, the "working man" makes alot less cash than the "boss man". Do you think you'd be living like you do if John was just an average working guy like the guys he employs? Being the boss isn't supposed to be fun.

Now before you say "How the hell do you know", I ran my own moving company for 3 years a few years ago. I had to worry about insurance, worker's comp, repairs, estimates and dealing with employees. I made good money but my motto was "A headache a day". I would have loved to keep it going but I quit was because the moving co. and a full time job wasn't allowing me to spend enough time with my family.

I do have one more question- What role do you play in the company? Are you there daily to see what the working conditions are like?

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Here's a plan maybe "John" can fire one of the three. Since they're just pion working men anyways and replace one of them with you so that you can earn your keep on all those things that you like to talk smack about having. Also maybe you would have some extra money to buy a membership /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

17. Leadfoot

Whoa! Settle down people. Hey we may not always agree, but sometimes the written word does not reflect reality. Only the ones involved know the whole story. This is a place where we should be able to vent, and get some support (as long as it wasn't blatantly obvious it was her/their fault). I have not met her or her family in person, but other members here have and they seem to agree that they are "good" people. Nobody is perfect (hey just look at me). There have been some real jerks on here in the past (fartman, buttman, blazerbabe, etc), and not being courtious to them WAS/IS appropriate. Yes Brandy and the family seem to have alot of toys (I sure wish I had them too), but it seems as if they have worked for them. Hell, John was even willing to "share the wealth" to help a fellow human being and "subordinate" to get him back on his feet. He could have just said "get lost loser, I'll find somebody else to fill your shoes", but chose the higher ground. I'm not saying everything she says or does is right (and again who is perfect), but cut her a little slack here.

$25 is $25 dollars. It sounds as though they are going to need it to bail the dude out of debt. Should they have backed him in the first place, maybe not, but they were trying to be nice (I wouldn't fault them for that). If it keeps happening then I would say yes.

As for the faulty vehicle, I forget what was the exact problem, but some of what driver's call faults or unsafe are normal conditions (yes my buddy is a dispatcher for Maple Leaf Distribution, and his father is a driver for Northampton and Boston). The "guys" want the newest and greatest rigs, so they "complain" that the ones they have, have shitty breaks or "faulty" steering (even though everything checks out to spec time and time again), so that they can persuade the higher ups to purchase newer/more comfortable vehicles. Not saying that is the case, but definitely something to keep in mind.

I would hate to see mud start slinging in here (I see/hear enough in all the political campaigns going on).

Keep on, keeping on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

well written chris. i couldn't have agreed more. later.

jacob

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sorry Chris but I just think it's total BS for Brandy to talk about these guys as if they're on the bottom of the food chain. I'm sure they do the best they can and like everyone else have bills and homes to take care of. If I found out that my boss's wife was talking about me like she did them I would sue for slander. If I'm out of line then I guess I'm out of line. I just get tired of hearing about people always talking about what they have or complaining about BS.

20. Can Can

I kinda agree with Corey. I don't think Brandy realizes that by slamming "workers", she's slamming a large percentage of the guys on this board. I also think it's unfair for her to mouth off about these guys without knowing the full story- like I said in a previous post, there are 3 sides to every story, and I'll bet that Brandy has only had one version.

One last thing- I highly doubt that she would have the balls to say the same things to the men's faces....... and if she did I have a feeling that John would be looking for new staff soon after.