Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Uuuhhhhh...Did I FUBAR my 14 bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Feb 2, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Well I was cuttin the spring perches and shock mounts off my 14 bolt and got to the last spring perch. I decided I could cut closer to the housing so I wouldnt have to grind so much and, well, I cut too close. Look at the pics and tell me what y'all think. The deepest gouge is like 3/32-1/8" deep and if I remember correctly the tube wall is 1/2" thick. So what do y'all think I should do? Leave it alone? Fill the holes in with a stick welder and grind it smooth? Any other ideas? Thx
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

maybe weld and fill? I went pretty far too, not as far as you, but enough that i stopped and thought. I doubt its a structural problem, this worries me in the way of fubar
    [​IMG]

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Weld it up and grind it down, no biggie.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I say weld it up, grind it down. Then run a small truss of some sort. A piece of 1.5" 3/16 wall angle layed open side down on the tube should be more than enough reinforcement and a little more piece of mind. I would worry more about a heat distortion issue myself.

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

that's no biggie...you can weld that up and just grind smooth. i with matt on the heat issue though...make sure you don't get the metal too hot while you doing it.

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Ok thx guys. I have another 14 bolt I could rob the housing of if need be but I'll just stick with this one. I'll go ahead and fill it in and grind er down. I dont think I overheated it because I only cut one item at a time then spent about 30 minutes grinding the rest of it down and let it cool then started on another.