Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Uwharrie Trip Report

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by 79Stomper, Oct 16, 2005.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First off I would like to say that it wasn't the same that John wasn't there. That would have made the "Perfect" day to of had you there man.

Anyways here is my disclaimer- Paul still has the memory stick from the digital camera so not able to post any pics right now but Paul if your out there POST EM UP.

The trip, was the perfect trip so far. Weather was absolutely gorgeous. Got up there a little late due to a route variation that I will never take again. But arrived around 930ish at the outpost. Pulled the rigs off of the trailers and commenced to ride the trails.

As usual Daniel was the first trail. Pulled up at the trail head and no one, I say again, NO ONE was waiting to go up. We locked the hubs and hit it.

Got to the switch back, some may know it as Shaft Breaker, and it is even worse than it was before. Paul was up first. One attempt and well I was out to take some pics of him going over it. I get out and turn the camera on and while it was starting up Paul tries it again this time a little too far to the right and plants hir right front tire on a tree and continues to walk up it TSL's. This was one little bad ass Jeep in my opinion. This thing walked right on up the Switch back without breaking a sweat.

Now on to Daniel. We get to the rock pile and well Paul picked a few nice lines with the help of his spotters. Had a few t case problems at first but once he got the momentum, right to the top without a lick of problems. His spotter was sprinting to the top trying to keep up and take pics at the same time. Got to the top and the crowd of ATVers that was resting cheered him as he conquered Daniels hardest lines.

Again the Jeep had no problems and creeped on up to the top where we had to fix a few fuel leaks on it when it was at the top. We sat for a while talking to the ATVers and fixing the Jeep and letting the rigs cool down form the trip to the top. The remainder of Daniel is an easy ride after the rocks.

Next it was on to Kodak Rock, again no trail changes from any other time we went. Again no one in the way on the route up until we got to the rock, where only one was waiting to go on up. We sat and watched the Toyota ( if I recall correctly) trying to take a hard line up and snapping what sounded to me like something in the t case but others think it was the hub, and was redirected to the bypass where they looked at it to see what was wrong. Paul wanted a hard line up so hime and one from the Jeep picked a line and started to go up. Well got the front up where he wanted it and just didn't have enough to get the rear over it. Engine ws wanting to turn the tires but the gearsw said no. So He attempted a little farther line to the right, pretty much same line but with a little variation. Got to a point in it where he was looking at a tree and an edge for the rear to go off so decided on their second line. Got past it on his first attempt (IIRC) and contiued to the top where I had to change batteries on the camera.

Next was the Jeep. Tried the same line but just didn't have the wheelbase to get over it, Paul had stayed all 4 planted the whole time while the Jeep on its attempt just couldn't keep the tires out of the air. Tried the second line and well got all over it. Had some problems with the brakes and the line but made it through.

Now we sat at the top of Kodak and waited for the next vehcle, Not with us, but was a well built buggy. Now this thing was SWEET. People driving it were great as well. Guy makes them and sells them. If I only had the money to have me one. Anywys this guy takes this buggy all over Kodak without a lick of problems, TWICE. They were still getting that Toyota off the bypass so held up some traffic. Guy driving the buggy said he come here to wheel andnot to watch so does it again. But this time with a little twist after we were heckeling him, backwards. Had to of been there.

So the rigs are coo; and we were tired of sitting so continue Rock Mountain Loop. We were held up a ways down the trail where a 04 or 04 Grand Cherokee was hung up on a tree. Stock suspension, AT tires but with rock sliders. We assist them and get them on their way and finish off the trail.

From here it was about 2 230ish and wanted to do something different. So we continued to ride. Ended up riding all bit one trail and well if you have a built rig the others are a waste of time. There was one, but the name escapes me that looked bad but Paul went up it in 2 wheel drive, where the Jeep went into 4wd but probably wasn't needed.

All right I am going to close this post and let Paul post up on what he thought.

Let me apologize in advance for forgetting some stuff or maybe even my mis spellings as I have had a few to drink

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've been waiting all day for this post. Sounds like yall have fun. I'm still pissed at the rig and it still doesn't like me. I was thinking about yall today and took the little 87 down to my wheeling hole. It did awesome for what it is and then I was pissed at myself for not getting up Sat and driving it up to meet yall. I want you both to know that I've prob got alcohol poison from sitting all weekend wondering how things were going. I haven't done a thing since friday night, what a wasted weekend. PAUL bring on the pics.

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am bringing the stick to you this morning, sorry, I slept and went to church twice and slept some more. We got up at 3am started driving at 4am and didnt make it home untill midnight, but there will be pics soon,

4. sapper

Here are some of the pics
    [​IMG]
    Only thing that broke, pretty good day

[​IMG]
    Axles look pretty cool in this one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the Jeep that was with us, Chevy engine, trans, dana 300 t case with 4 to 1 and one tons

[​IMG]

5. jayweb

jayweb 1/2 ton status

uwharrie trip

sapper - I finally made it sat am, saw your tow rig at the outpost. looked for you guys, but hooked up w/ another bunch of nice guys who let me tag along. tried to stay off the harder stuff for fear of breaking stuff. had an awesome time and will be going back soon - let me know when any of you are going.

6. clarkjw24

Hey Paul in that first pic was that yours or James' lunch. :p: I didn't know you could see clean throught the fender wells. :eek1:

7. 79Stomper

Thats a new thing there starting to do. Allows you to see the rear tires and whatthere up too while hanging out back. :haha::haha::haha::haha:

8. sapper

It was my lunch but I did share it with James, still have to get those patch panels put in a be done with rust repair :doah:

9. clarkjw24

I got side tracked on the last post but those are some great pics. The one coming up the far right line of Daniel and the axles crossed is sweet. You couldn't get James to lay on the ground and a get a closer action shot? :haha: No pics of you on the big rock at Kodak? Looks like the clay was alittle saturated, nice and clumpy. Damn, I wish I'd been there.

10. 79Stomper

Shoot I was trying to spot and take pics at the same plus sprint up Daniel making dure he didn't get hung on any rocks while he was throttling on up it. He got the initial momentum and kept it. I would stop, look, direct him if needed and if I had time take a pic. He received wuite a cheer when he got to the top though. :bow::bow: From the ATVers. The pics I did take he had to crop them due to being 4mega pixels on the lowest setting the camera had.