Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

V-10 Ram

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by delta9blazer, Jun 12, 2002.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

saw in a buddy's mopar mag that dodge is gonna drop the viper motor in a new truck next year.
    holy [censored].

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

makes me glad I have a Duramax- 21 mpg, and I can hold my own with the F*rd V-10, sure the D*dge won't be too much of a problem! You know, that's one way to get more of us to like the new front end on the dodge, I spend a lot of time looking at them in my rear view MUUUHHAHAHAHHA! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Brandy /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. delta9blazer

?
    your duramax is gonna keep up with or beat a viper-powered truck?
    ?

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

just cause it has a V-10 doesn't make it all that super fast. Like I have said before, my father in law has a F*rd V-10, and brother in laws 8.1 has no problem getting past it....from what I understand these V-10's are built for Tourqe, not horse's...I'm not saying my truck is the fastest truck out there, not at all, my point was, a V-10 from dodge is not a big deal when you have a V-10 from Ford and you have the 8.1 from Chevy already available, I guess its good for the dodge fans, they could now possibly be running even with another brand.

plus I could always get JUICE for my truck, then yup I KNOW I'd be faster than the "viper powered truck".... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

by the way- my post wasn't meant to turn into a pissing contest. It was basically a joke- ---you know, learning to love the new front end part etc..????
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Brandy

5. delta9blazer

right on.
    i once told a buddy that i could ID almost any motorcycle from its taillight, and he replied that he couldn't, because he hardly ever saw their taillights.
    bastard.

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I can't wait until this thing comes out! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Brandy I belive that the V10 that Kevin is speaking about is the 500+ HP Viper engine that Dodge is supposed to be putting in their 1/2 ton super truck, not the reguler Magnum V10 the they run in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Now if this is the one that Kevin is refering to it will with out a dout smoke your Duramax in accelaration and top speed. Now Im not saying that the Duramax is not a power house but it is set up for hauling and towing. It's realy like comparing apple's to oranges. The Viper engine is for pure speed not for pulling. Altough I don't think it would have to much trouble with 505 HP and 500 FT. LBS torque Oh and yes a Ford V10 is a dog but the new Power Stroke does put out more torque than the Duramax on the current models. Next year Dodge is bumping up the torque in the Cummins engines that will once againe put the Chevy Deisel in third place.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

LOL...haha. I just couldn't help but say either...that for a savings of around $8K up front, I can put a $450 Edge chip in my cummins later and match a duramax. Good trucks and good motors they seem to be, but good gawd what a price tag.

As for the V10 Ram...wonder if they'll let me take one for a test drive???? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Correct, but if you read the fine print, that is only in manual tranny models for both. Chevy is the only one that does not de-tune their diesels for an auto.

Just my .02,
    /forums/images/icons/cool.gif John

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Correction: GM does detune the Duraomax for the Suburban models with the 4L80E transmission (the Allision does not fit in the sheetmetal). The 4L80E is a stout tranny, but not made for the torque of the Duromax. Reason GM does not detune the Duromax for the auto (Allison) is not because the motor is weaker than Ford or Dodge Diesels, but the Allison is much stronger than the autos the others offer. Having driven all three diesels, the Duromax has it won hands down for power. The Duromax's figures are actually under-rated and it does have more torque on paper and in the "real world" which is the reason the other two are upper theirs. Again no pissing contest here, and although I am a GM fan, I'm not an idiot either. Until about six months ago I was definitely a major Cummins fan (I just didn't like the quality of the rest of the Dodge pickup), and back then I said the Cummins was the better of all the diesels. Now after seat time, I definitely prefer the Duromax. Maybe next year I will change my opinion, but only time will tell. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not a fan of the diesel for my trail rigs. Don't get me wrong, great torque, but I like to get in the mud and spin some wheels every now and then. I don't have anything against a diesel, I just prefer gas. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif