Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

V-8 To Inline 6 Swap Info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scavenger, Nov 18, 2000.

1. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 1967 Chevy C50 straight truck to use the cab for my dump truck. This truck has a good running inline 292 6 cylinder and I was wondering if it would be possible to use this motor in a 1977 K5 that had a 350 with an auto tranny in it. The tranny is still in the Blazer but the 350 was yanked out a few years ago. For a 77 this Blazer is in fair shape for being in the rust belt, and it is free for the towing. I know nothing about this 292 motor, and mainly need to know what problems I may encounter putting it in the 77......thanks

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you dont get an answer here:
    Go to this sitehttp://www.cliffordperformance.com/home.htm
    Click on "user forums"
    on the bottom left of the page. Then go into their inline 6 performance forum and post your question there. All the guys there are a bunch of in-line nuts who have put sixes in everything with wheels. Clifford also has great performance parts for in line 4 and 6 cyl engines. I've built some six bangers with their parts that put V8s to shame.

3. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Hi Guys, I've had 3, 292 six banger's. They really put out alot of torque. BUT the but part was the fuel milage ALLWAYS stunk. I'm sure it would fit right in your K5.

4. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I can tell you this for sure about that 292....My bud had one in a dump truck with 4.56s and a stick. He could plow snow with the back filled with dirt. Those sixes have a lot more power than i would have ever thought before I saw it in action......I think sticking a 292 in a k5 is cool if you want to do it.....js

5. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, thanks for the posts. I think I will keep the inline six (if there is any room left in the garage)and eventually put it in that Blazer. I did notice that it has the older larger spark plugs so I will have to do some checking to see if it will run on unleaded gas without burning up. Also I know this does not pertain to a K5, but does anyone have any experience with 2 speed rear axles such as the one on my 1969 Chev C50 dump truck. I believe the axle is locked in low range (can pull away from a stop sign in 4th gear) because top speed in 5th gear is 30 mph, with very high rpm's. I have tried using the 2 speed lever on the shifter but it dosn't seem to work. Anyone know how this system works, and also if I can manually lock out the low speed range......thanks

6. bushwacker

bushwacker Registered Member

It's been a long while since I tangled with a 2 speed rear axle, but it is either electrically or air actuated. If it is elec , try applying 12v directly to the terminals on the motor bolted to the diff,if it shifts ,then you have a bad switch or wiring prob. The shift motors are pretty rugged so it is usually something minor. If you remove the motor, you may be able to shift it manually (jack up rear axle so you can turn the wheels. HTH.