Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

V10 vs. K5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990Blazer, Dec 15, 2000.

1. 1990Blazer

1990Blazer Registered Member

I recently started looking for another Blazer but came across some things I had no clue about. I looked up vin #s and it said one was a V10 Blazer 4x4 w/ the standard 5.7 V8.
    ANother said a K10 I think it was. Whats the deal with these compared to the k5s?

ALWAYS BUMPIN!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

GM confused the hell out of things when they came out with the new pickup body style back in '88 or '89. Up until that point, a "C" prefix designated a 2WD GM truck, while "K" designated a 4WD. Since they weren't changing the body style of the Blazer, Jimmy and Suburbans at the same time as the pickup, they took the C and K desgnations and kept those with the pickups. The Blazer, Jimmy and Suburbans got tagged with "R" and "V" prefixes, even though their body styles were identical to the previous year "C" and "K" models.

I've often seen both K5 and K10 used to describe the full size Blazers and Jimmys. They do have the same drivetrain as the K10, but K5 was used to denote the Blazer/Jimmy body style. Since the "K" has been swapped for the "V", then I'd expect the V5 and V10 to show up in a similar fashion.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

3. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Yeah when i bought my 88 and got my plates, never noticed before but on vehical model it said v10, was like hmm new one to me.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

4. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Got an 88 Blazer as well. V10 showed up on the vehicle rejistration form & insurance policy too. At first I thought be cool if I had a V10 under the hood but its a 350. Then I figured out what HarryH3 mentioned above. - Jay

5. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Hey, my MI title came back a K10 Blazer on the title. Surprised the hell out of me. It was a Air Forse Blazer with a 5.7. What gives?