Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

v3500 brake upgrades.... what next...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by camiswelding, Sep 10, 2004.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I already have super stop brake pads and everything is like new but pulling a well braked trailer still overtaxes chevy's braking system... truck runs out of brakes on hilly driving even being light on them
    89 v3500 crewcab....low miles
    anyone ever think of larger rotors with bigger piston calipers (provided you were running larger wheels...)

Has anyone had really good success with any other brake upgrades for our trucks....
    stainless steel brake corp and brembo and those kind of companies dont seem to make any real upgrades for our trucks.... (like ford 6 piston brakes etc)

thanks
    cam

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Make sure your rear brakes are adjusted tight. If your rear brakes are not adjusted tight enough, then your front brakes will be doing all the stopping.

There is nothing more you can do to a JB8 brake system to increase their performance other than make sure all the parts are quality, in good condition, and adjusted properly.

I adjust the rear brakes on my 14-bolt FF by adjusting them out to full lock, and then back them off 10 clicks.

3. camiswelding

thanks chris...

4. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

Go with crossdrilled front rotors, biggest problem on those big trucks is cooling the brakes and the crossdrilled rotors will help fix that problem

had a customer at NAPA that got his front rotors on his 97' k3500, crewcab, longbed, deisel so hot from tow trailers on the hills around Pittsburgh, that he was replacing them from warpage every 4-6 months, plus he still had horrible brake fade even with smart driving, adjusted rear shoes, and a engine brake, so we was talking one day and i mentioned crossdrilled rotors and the "Theory " behind them. He tried them, no brake fade anymore (once again, he is a smart driver so i'm sure that helps at least) and he's never had to replace the rotors from warpage since

that was 2 years ago, and this is his daily driver (he's a construction worker)

Just my 2 cents, good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

You can try a bigger caliper- I have a set of used statix if you'd like. But other than that, you can go to a big brake kit (big money), slotted and drilled rotors (money, but not as much), and performance friction pads.

It depends on why your running out of brakes- Is it the pads that are not gripping anymore, or is it the caliper fluid that is boiling off?

6. camiswelding

whose big brake kit? the manufacturers talk about them but then I dont see them offered for our trucks... only the newer ones

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    whose big brake kit? the manufactureres talk about them but then I dont see them offered for our trucks... only the newer ones

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my question too? After doing some research, I found that a company called Stillen are the ones that manufacture the Statix line of calipers, but they do not offer any for a 1-ton GM truck. Niether does Wilwood.