Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? v6 vortec engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevystepside, Apr 28, 2004.

1. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

ive got a buddy with a 1994 s10 jimmy with a v6 vortec. it is making a grinding noise at the front of the engine. i thought that it was the waterpump so to verify i removed the serp belt. but the noise did not go away. has anyone had or heard of a problem like this? im going to remove all the accecerys this weekend and remove the timing cover cause it sounds like it is at the front of the engine. any help would be greatly apprecated /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

ttt /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

check in the timing cover and all. I think those motors have a balance shaft, maybe something got screwed up in it.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would just make sure that nothing up front is loose. My truck motor made a "knocking" sound that seemed to be getting louder and louder so I eventually pulled the motor.

From what I could tell after I pulled it, the crank pulley somehow had loosened up, and I *think* the noise was it, as it walked around on the loose bolts as the engine turned.