Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

V8 ZJ coils, how to ID and opinions NEEDED

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Dec 21, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I finished the 4 link today. S10 is sitting on the suspension with the V8 ZJ coils. Well I started playing with it a bit and am noticing something really bad. The springs are SOFT. I mean, if I open the door and stand on the door sill, the truck leans 2" that side. If you push down on the back bumper it will bounce FOREVER(no shocks yet). I'm truly doubting the Bilstein 5150s(heavy valving) will fix this. The only thing I can think is, that I got screwed and got I6 springs and not V8 springs. Unless shocks help A LOT this thing will be way too unstable to use. I swore Russ has ZJs in the rear of his truggy. THe even weirder thing, the truck weighs in at 3400lbs as it sits. So its not like there is a lot of weight flopping around on top of them. I'm thinking as of right now I'm going to have to either get heavy duty stock springs, some stiffer 2" springs(throw off my geometry a little but gain me some clearance), or Go with some F150 springs or something like that.

oh and how would I ID that they are in fact V8 coils? There is one or two little tags but not sure how much of them is left.

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Once you put a set of shocks in, the bouncy affect will almost go away. Ask someone who has installed the F150 springs without shocks how their truck bounced. I was amazed at how bouncy my truck was with the f150 springs. You can also consider installing a swaybar to help with the body roll.

3. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

I've got V8 ZJ coils on my XJ. I bought them from a Jeep dealer last year. If you'd like I'll read the tags and measure the wire diameter for you.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I just asked AJ, hes certain they are V8 ZJ coils. Whatever, we shall see how it works out with shocks. The bounce didn't worry me, more so the lean.