Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VA/DC area-Ground Hog hunting or camping?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region' started by bluecollarjock, Mar 24, 2007.

1. bluecollarjock

bluecollarjock 1/2 ton status

Hi everyone....just had another surgery but in the meantime got the K5 running pretty good. She needs some brake work and the steering stinks, but its really running sweet right now!!! Even with the 3.73s, although in a few weeks Im heading to NJ to pick up some 4.10s and shackle flip from a member.

Anyways, now that she is running...Im ITCHING to get back to my roots...is there anywhere around the DC area, especially northern virginia, where I might be able to find some mild trails to test her out on, and do some camping? I also really want to get back into plinking ground hogs, anyone have some hook ups with private land or farmers who want some ground hogs eliminated? Im a police officer and can show my creds if trusting you dont have some yahoo is an issue. One of my main goals in getting this truck, was to start varmit hunting and plinking again, and doing some camping...

Anyone game for a camping trip in about a month??

Any helping hands for an axle swap down the road too, Ill buy the beer and pizza! haha...going from 10 bolts, to Dana 44 and 12 bolt.

100_0038.JPG

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

wow the k5 looks sweet and i just had surgery my self 1/4/07 had a lung removed - canser but i am back to work this week
    if you could do paragon or rouchcreek i would be game

3. bluecollarjock

Thanks brother...wow sorry to hear about your surgery. Im still stuck at home for another week....3rd cut in 8 months on my lower intestine, so after surgery have to lay around taking baths and popping pills...

I need to clean up some quirks on her, small leak not sure where from, only a few drops after shutting her down, and hopefully doing an axle swap next month to 4.10s....and crossover steering if I get lucky to find the parts.

Would love to hook up if she is road worthy to make the trips....just need to find some good folks around here possibly from CK5 that could do a once over and give me the thumbs up that she is ready for a long roadtrip. Would be fun!!

Can you do camping at Paragon or Rouchcreek? Never heard of Rouchcreek...Paragon I think is 4 hours away from DC?? DO they have mild enough trails that I wouldnt be beating it so hard I would break something and need a 4 hour tow? hahahah....yea I need to do some camping...we can swap hospital surgeries and do some healing by talking trucks and outdoors!!!

Godspeed your recovery,
    Matt

4. bluecollarjock

wow just saw photos of your truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dang that is SWEET

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/ go take a look

my truck is just ok but i like to do the blue and light blacks but dont get me wrong some of i best times i have had are on the green trails i just like to get out -- not get muddy and bust stuff :doah: :rolleyes:

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

haha we'll see how long it says nice and clean :) haha

7. bluecollarjock

hahah....well you help me do the axle swap, shackle flip, zero rate, new u joints, and crossover steering if I can find the parts...and you will get to witness the initial beating and mud covering :-)

8. bluecollarjock

that trail park looks awesome. I dont have any tow points I dont think, not even the stock ones...nor do I have a fullsize spare or CB...guess I have some more things I need to save up for...but i would love to do some of the easier trails, just to make sure my truck can handle them without breaking. I have not wheeled in 10 years, I used to be pretty good but that was with a heavy foot. Ill have open diffs, crappy steering unless I find crossover, so would like to take it easy the first time plus make the 4 hour road trip home in one piece! Sweet stuff!!

9. muddybuddy

ive got a towbar, so i could flat tow you, but i need to swap all my parts on before i do that:D

10. bluecollarjock

hahah...well if you are staying home for the summer, plan on some trips. Id love to start hooking up for wheeling and camping with guys on here, or do things locally. With my new schedule I have weekends off, and if this hooptie of mine is running strong and reliable by summer, its going to see tons of action going to the great outdoors...and if I blow up something, you can tow me home haha.

Long term in the future looks like I have more money to save for. The official off road parks all have strict rules, for good measure. I would need just about every part on their list to be cleared...

11. muddybuddy

haha assuming i dont break something. im still a ways away from being ready but hopefully it wont be long

12. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How you coming along with the mall flexer?

13. bluecollarjock

haha...he took that thing apart and sold the axles!!!

14. muddybuddy

thats going to 1/2tons and 35's. the new truck (in sig) is going to be the new mall flexer:haha: