Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vacation resorts/Timeshares - Latest scam?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Mar 3, 2006.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I have a guy who called me after I looked for some info on some discounted theme park tickets in Florida.

His pitch was that we'd get 7 nights/8 days in a big fancy 5 star resort and deep discounts on Disney/Seaworld/Universal tickets. I thought it sounded good and he said there was no fine print...

He wanted me to leave him a $99 deposit which was fully refundable blah blah blah...

So is this some kind of scam? Do they run up a huge charge on my credit card then disappear, and when I get down there I'll have no room to stay in? Or will I have to sit through a dozen time share demos to get the discounts?

This would be entirely a luxury, we have a place to stay when we go down there, I just thought it would be nice to be on vacation and be staying at a high class place... As it is, it looks like we're still below our budget for the trip anyway.

So your thoughts?

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Figure 3 or more hours. The monthly/yearly maint fees will getcha. If you are retired, timeshares are great. Or if a few people go in on one.

3. sikZ28

sikZ28 1/2 ton status

Be careful, there are a lot of fly by night business's and scammers in Florida...there is no BBB down there. :yikes:

(at least there wasn't a few years ago) :thinking:

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If it sounds too good to be true.........:whistle:

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Thanks fellas. Yeah, Paul, that was my thought, too good to be true...

I did a little googling on the company name, it turns out they have a history of "accidentally" booking/charging your stay incorrectly, multiple times, etc. That's in addition to extremely high pressure timeshare sales tactics.

Not to mention I get a little pissed off when they want me to pay for something "NOW" because later he wouldn't be able to give me such a great rate (I already know that line is BS, and if it isn't, then oh well). The guy wouldn't get off the phone til I gave him my CC number, so I lied and said I didn't have my credit card on me. When he called me back I told him thanks but I wasn't interested, we're going to be staying with my father in law. He started coming up with reasons I should buy, and I cut him short and said I didn't really have time for this and thanks anyway.

I'm in the middle of a freakin huge job transition, I really need to watch my cashflow... I think I'm going to buy a new truck tomorrow...:haha: :haha:

6. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

:haha: where have I heard that one before :wink1: .

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: I think I got it from you, except it was "Bike"... :rotfl: :rotfl:

8. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

:thumb: guilty as charged!

9. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

my parents own a 1 week timeshare in florida through RCI. If you get it from a legit company it can be a great way to make sure u get away every year.

Basicly the deal is u pay a set rate (when u buy) for either a 25 year deal or a lifetime. You get 1 week a year at the resort u buy at, but it can be tranfered to any other RCI resort anywhere in the world (the catch is u cant go the same place twice in 5 years).

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Ratch, you have young ones right? Skip Dland and wait til their old enough for islands of adventure and universal, that along with that and the city walk will take you 2 days and it will be ten times better.

11. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    If they are a real company and you can handle sitting through there BS,
    the trip can be good. If you can't handle them without ripping their small useless head off their shoulders, then don't.
    If you have a place to stay anyway, WTF? you can always leave and tell them to bite it. I have a timeshare in Cancun and I always use that as an excusse, "sorry but I already have a timeshare and it blows this place off"

I had a company give me a free trip to the Bahamas if I bought one of there products and I said sure. We went there figuring that if it sucked, we would just go stay at another place... no biggy. Well, it turned out to be pretty cool, had a great time and I NEVER anwsered the phone if it rang.
    Be careful no matter what you do. Their is plenty of people just waiting to rip you off.
    Here's my timeshare -
    [​IMG]

This place ROCKS! I haven't been there for a few years but maybe I'll go this year for the hell of it.
    There web site http://www.clubsolaris.com/ :bow: