Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vacation to Bishop, CA.. Gun question???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MTBLAZER89, Jun 23, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm taking the family camping up near Bishop, CA this weekend, and I always bring a handgun camping. Any gun laws about bringing it from NV to CA in the vehicle. What are the laws in CA?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

is it a state park? fed park? pvt land?

j

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When you are transporting the weapon, as long as the firearm and ammunition are kept separate from each other you will be fine. For example: First, you could take the pistol in its case, and locate it in the area behind the rear seat of your Blazer. Second, place the ammunition in the glove box or the center console. Once you get to where you are going to camp or stay for the night, then you can load your weapon because you are no longer transporting it.

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

In california the pistol must be in a locked container, separate from the ammunition. The glove box, or center console, if lockable, does not qualify as a locked case for the purpose of transporting your handgun.

Do what 1-ton said, but make sure the case is lockable. I have a .30 cal ammo can I keep mine in, with a hasp welded on to make it lockable. I use a combo lock to lock it. I leave the dial on the last number, so all I have to do is yank the lock open if I should ever need to. I think if you are on national forest land, you are permitted to carry your handgun with you.

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

cool thanks I think it's just National forest land not a state park /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    In california the pistol must be in a locked container, separate from the ammunition. The glove box, or center console, if lockable, does not qualify as a locked case for the purpose of transporting your handgun.

Do what 1-ton said, but make sure the case is lockable. I have a .30 cal ammo can I keep mine in, with a hasp welded on to make it lockable. I use a combo lock to lock it. I leave the dial on the last number, so all I have to do is yank the lock open if I should ever need to. I think if you are on national forest land, you are permitted to carry your handgun with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

All that's accurate.

And if the CA. Highway Patrol pulls you over for a moving violation NEVER tell them you have a firearm with you. They freak out. It will become a time consuming venture.

Lastly, is'nt it a pity that in order to prepare to defend your family, life and liberty you have to surrender that firearm locked and useless. What if you need it before you think you might??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Time spent in Cal is no vacation.
    Another reason California sucks.
    Transporting Firearms in California

Too bad you cant carry it with a loaded magizine sitting on the dash for all the world to fear. Like you can here in good ol Nevada.

8. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

If you do bring it here make sure the clips are unloaded. I didnt know that and got corrected at the shooting range. The gun was locked up and the clips were loaded in the glove box. The guy told me that if a cop finds a clip with 1 bullet in it its connsidered a concealed weapon even if theres no gun in the truck.

Nick