Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vaccum Tubes Everywhere!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CrazeeBush, May 31, 2000.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Anyone made a switch from an ECM controlled motor to a non emmission one? What I'd like to do is Clean up the engine compartment by removing emmissions equipment. There must be a million ugly vaccum tubes strewn out around my engine. Ugh. What would be involved in the swap? A non computer controlled HEI dist? A new carb? I want to know what I'm looking at. My truck runs clean enough that I can pass with cats alone since that's all they check for.

2. CrazeeBush

Also, I found sometihng last night in Jegs catalog. It's to lockup the 700R4 Tranny with no ECM, that is a must to, right?

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

They dont even look under the hood! WOW, I wish they did that down here. I knew someone once that put in a big block, and made it look like the emissions was hooked up. I am not sure how he did it , I think he just plugged up all the hoses or something.

YEEE HAAWWW[​IMG]

4. CrazeeBush

No, here's the emmissions process here in Middle Tennessee. You pull in, they drop a mirror under the car to check for catalytic converter. They check to make sure you have a gas cap and that it has the restrictor so you can't put leaded fuel in. You hand them $5 and they stuck a wand in the tailpipe, if you pass then you get a certificate so you can get it registered. Gotta do this once a year.

My truck is allowed 400ppm HC and 4% CO
    My truck puts out 133ppm HC and 1.08% CO

I think I'm safe to junk some stuff since they don't check as long as I have the cats and a clean carb I should be just fine.

5. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

I pulled all that crap off mine because it wasn't running right. Eliminated all emissions tubes and vacuum lines then put on headers and older HEI distributer. The carb still works without being plugged in but I can't get choke working.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. CrazeeBush

Here's my idea thoughts. An older HEI distributor, and Edelbrock 650cfm carb and a Performer RPM Intake. I'll get the Lockup kit from Jegs for my transmission. I think that's all I will need. I'll put headers on later for now I'll just plug those Air ports on the Exhaust manifold? Anybody see any problems with what I'm thinking?

7. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Nope, that should do it. Just go by that old saying "when in doubt, PLUG IT !"

8. CrazeeBush

Thanks, I'm kinda concerned now that I failed emmisions with the smog pump unhooked. Are there higher standards for pre '81 vehicles. Although my carb is showing it's age. I need to rebuild or buy a new one. If I have a clean carb and no computer and sensor with a new cat should I have problems passing?

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com