Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vaccume leak ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoSmog73, Feb 3, 2002.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok here goes I put my foot on the brake and (out of gear) idle goes up (thought was check valve so I replaced no luck) but when cold come to stop in gear and It will idle way down to about 200 and then die if I dont get it into neutral. I will change the booster but anything or area that I can check (beside the usual vaccume lines on the carb maybe) thanks for any thoughts or tips again thanks later-mike

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

don't throw the booster, they aren't hard to check. Start truck, don't touch the brake, let run for a few seconds. Turn truck off. Wait 45 minutes. Go back to truck, don't start it. Pump brakes. You should have 2 or 3 ASSISTED brake applies, before the pedal effort gets harder. A lot cheaper than replacing a booster that might be fine.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

A lot of times when a booster goes bad you can hear them sucking. Now they will make a noise when you first press the brake but once held they should be quiet. if you hear a sucking noise while holding it steady, it's bad. Then not holding vac is sualy the check valve but can also be a cracked diaphram. Do the test as descibed in the other post And listen for the sucking noise.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

thank you for the info will try this weekend??

5. rain1971

rain1971 Registered Member

I just bought 2 blazers, and on the one i decided to fix up, the brakes were terrible, i checked disc pads and they were very good still, so i thought, "master cylinder" so i changed it, no luck, then because i had the parts truck here anyways, i changed the vacuum booster, still no luck, now i know it is the calipers are sticky, wish i had read this post a month ago . :)

Theres no replacement for displacement!
    I want a big block!