Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vaccuum Pump?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by blasterD, Feb 21, 2004.

1. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Well, I checked out my vaccuum pump today and it's only pulling about 3-5" of vaccuum. I checked a few places in town, but nobody has a new one. What years would be compatible with my pump? Or, is there any way to replace it with an electris vaccuum pump?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

LMCTruck sells them for $179.95. Part # is 32-5608.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A $180 vacuum pump that runs nothing on the truck but the AC/heater system... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

A non-AC heater assembly cost me $40 and an afternoon with a /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

Of course, my AC didn't blow cold anymore and the heater core was leaking. And I still need my vacuum pump for the TH400. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Can Can

I'm not sure where you're coming from on this one...... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

First of all, I'm not willing to change out my entire heat setup and carve up my pristine truck to avoid having to spend a couple of hundred bucks and 15 minutes of wrenching. And without a vacuum supply, I can't switch to defrost, which, out this way, is damn near a necessity 8 months of the year. The vacuum pump also powers my cruise control, which is a nice feature to have on long drives.

Maybe I'm crazy? Or maybe I just read you wrong on this one........ /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I guess I did come at it kind of goofy... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

My AC didn't work.
    My cruise didn't work.
    My vacuum pump was iffy.

Originally, I was changing the heater core, and broke too many things on disassembly to put it back together. I couldn't find another AC heater box, (AC must be rare around here /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif ) so I got a complete non-AC heater assembly and made it fit /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

The non-AC setup is all cable controlled (no vacuum) so I plugged off the "T" in the vacuum line running from the pump. WTF? Now my TH400 is shifting waaay sooner. It turns out the AC/heater controls had a vacuum leak, and it wasn't my vacuum pump going south. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

So when I noticed in your sig that your truck had an SM465, I assumed the only thing the vacuum pump was feeding was the AC/heater controls. I figured if your truck is anything like mine (and yours certainly sounds nicer) then a few ideas on, uh... "streamlining" might be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. Can Can

No problem, brother!!! It's all good.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Actually, you looked at the wrong sig. My 6.2 is in an 83 1/2 ton with a 700r4. Of course, the 700r4 isn't vacuum modulated either, so you weren't too far off course.

Yeah, my ol' pickup is in REALLY good shape. I bought it off a co-worker about 7 years ago right after he retired. It only had 92K kms on it and had never been winter driven. I still try my best to keep it original, so "streamlining" doesn't even enter the picture where repairs are concerned.

Anyhow, no harm done. I was pretty sure that you were talking tongue-in-cheek and I wasn't getting it, which isn't hard for a dummy like me to do....... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll go see what I can find in the boneyard. How much vaccuum will a frech pump pull? Mine only pulls 3-5". Also, do all 6.2-6.5's use the same vaccuum pump?

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I'd avoid a boneyard pump. They're probably worn out too.

I bought a brand new vacuum pump off ebay for $40. I also bought one from my local auto store for around $80, IIRC. You can also buy just the pod, the part that bolts to the top of the shaft that drops down into the engine. That should be cheaper.

Just be careful if you pull the whole pump out. It drives the oil pump too. Don't try to run the engine without the vacuum pump installed.

All 6.2L/6.5L v-belt engines used the rear-mount vacuum pump. All serpentine belt and I think maybe all van engines use a belt-driven pump.

Casey

9. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. The guy I talked to at NAPA didn't have a clue. The guy at Car quest (the one I normally deal with ) says it's going to be $180 plus at least a week to ship it here (I'm in Alaska). Which parts store did you get one for $80 ?

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the info. The guy I talked to at NAPA didn't have a clue. The guy at Car quest (the one I normally deal with ) says it's going to be $180 plus at least a week to ship it here (I'm in Alaska). Which parts store did you get one for $80 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in Alaska I would guess. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I got mine from O'Reilly Auto Parts. It's more of a local midwest chain. I really like dealing with them.

They show two pumps availabe, one for $99 plust $20 core charge, and another for $161 with no core charge. I bought mine a couple of years ago. Prices are only going to keep going up on these kind of parts as these engines keep getting older and older.

I'll see if I can dig up the info on the new $40 I bought a few years ago.

Casey