Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vacume Advance\Timing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Oct 14, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

which port on the carb do i hitch the vacume advance to i have a edelbog 1406 i think the one on the right or the one on the left?

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I wanna say right, but get a second oppinion before you go with that.

3. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

ok i tried that and i couldnt even find the timing mark but umm i dont know it run ok but seems to have lack of power i advanced it a couple of degreees its seems to help a little... when i give it gas where its hooked up now the timing mark advances itself to the left isnt it supposed to go to the right?

4. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

the mech advance should be unhooked and your carb line should be plugged. Advancing means moving the timing farther before TDC, which means the little line on the balancer will me moving left on the timing tab. I just timmed my motor, and set it at 8* BTDC, you motor may require a different setting.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Fixed it for you.

Actually your question can me more complicated than you think. Technically it could work on either port. Not sure which vehicle in your sig you're working on. I'm guessing the TA probably had it hooked to what I call ported vacuum. The blazer was probably on manifold vacuum. You can figure out which one by starting the truck and putting your finger over the ports. The one that sucks is manifold, and the other is ported.

Being a Trans Am guy, you should check out Thirdgen.org . Tons of info on those cars, and specifically motor tuning. If you do a search for vacuum advance you'll find a whole lot of info on the ported vs. manifold debate.

6. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

I run a 1406, for a while I ran the vacume advance on the wrong port and it would make the engine ping. I thought that it was the timing but it was pulling too much vacume, When you are facing the carb the small port on the left, that is the right one.

7. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help guys.