Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vacumme advance ported to carb but tees off to the EVAP can???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cheyennesuper, Nov 12, 2004.

1. cheyennesuper

cheyennesuper Registered Member

The hose from my vaccume advance to the carb is split off to the EVAP canister too.Is this right?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Does your state really look close for emissions ? In my state I redid my hose routing and took off the ported switches and still pass visual .

What I did is run PCV , EGR , pump diverter valve , and spark straight off the carb . Then I made the 1978 Evap can I got from a yard tie into the PCV valve at the cover ( 2 port PCV valve ) . And power brakes off rear of carb . Works simpler and I passed in AZ /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. cheyennesuper

I'm not worried about emmisions...my vaccume advance is not working properly...i think /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. pauly383

What carb ? If its a Q-jet , run it direct to ported on the carb . The smog era carbed engines need vacuum advance under light loads and cruise for economy /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. cheyennesuper

I have a holley 4-barrel but i'm not sure exactly which holley

6. pauly383

Its been a long time since I worked on a Holley of my own . I don't remember which port is ported , try running engine and find a port that has no vacuum at idle , and run the advance straight to that . I do use a timing light right before emissions , but all other times I time it by ear until I can drive all the time without pinging /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif