Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vacumn assist swap to hydro assist brakes from a diesel?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zeus33rd, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Is this just a bolt on thing? I've got an '82 K10 that had a 6.2. Has the hydro assist system...Can I just remove all the stuff from the K10 and bolt it to the K5? The master cylinder, power steering pump and steering box? Any issues to deal with?

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK I researched this to death about this time last yr and got the stuff. Im getting ready to install it this month finally. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif The brake pedal itself is different, the pin for the master is in a different place. I might have this backwards but the Vac assist has studs on the fire wall to bolt it on, but the hydro has 2 studs on the booster that needs to be removed. Or something like that. When you get them side by side youll see the difference where you mount it up. The power steering box is not ness. to swap. As I said I have not mounted it yet, so I am not sure if the diesel pump brackets will work on a SBC, they may need to be swapped. 1 ton booserts MIGHT have a different pressure. I have heard diferent stories on that, so I got a 1/2 or 3/4 ton unit. Get a cooler.

Its mostly all bolt on w/ the exception of the 2 studs and the pump brackets. Pound out the studs and change the brackets. TheGeneral and 502Burban helped me a bunch. Do a search on Hydro Boost, theres lots of info on here. Try HydrA Boost too, I think 1 post was misspelled.

3. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

i dont remember if i pounded out the 2 studs or not when i did mine but the diesel power steering pump and brackets bolted right up to my smallblock.

deck

4. Pure Insanity

The brackets match up huh? Kewl! Thats the biggest reason I havent installed it yet. Too damn lazy to get out the pulley tool. LOL! Surprizing too since the diesels used an Olds block.

5. BryanL

BryanL Registered Member

From the 6.2 until the current Duramax the diesels were designed by Detroit. The previous 350 diesel was a converted Olds gas engine. I'm pretty sure the 6.2 came out around 1992.

Bryan

6. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

6.2 Diesels have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in common with the converted gassers that were offered in passenger cars!!!! They were designed by Detroit Diesel as diesels from the very start(which was actually in the early 80's).

7. Pure Insanity

OK Ill respond to myself so I can handle both of you at once. 1st off WHO THE HELL said anything about the 6.2? UMMM.......WASNT ME! I made reference to the Olds 350 that was converted and used in the 80s in both cars and trucks. These are the rigs we can scavenge the ness. parts off of to do this swap The 6.2 didnt come out TMK until the newer body style. SO my comment on the diesels is just that, the Olds 350s. WHY would I be making reference to a motor not available in our generation of trucks? I may be wrong on the generation But I recall the 6.2 in use in like 89 or 90, but regardless of that fact, I never said JACK about the 6.2. JUST the 350 Olds.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The 6.2L came out in about 1982. I had one in my old 1984 Suburban from the factory. The heads appeared to have the same bolt pattern as a small block chevy. SO I believe the pump brackets are a bolt on.

If you need a hydroboost pedal assembly for an Automatic I have one forsale for $15 plus the ride (from an 1984 1/2 ton suburban).

9. Pure Insanity

OK I went to the specifications page of CK5 and found this. 1982 was the 1st yr of the diesel in Blazers, we all know the 1st diesels were a converted Olds motor, so what do we have....The 6.2 IS the converted Olds motor.

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

The 6.2 and the Old 5.7 diesel have nothing in common other than the fuel they burn. The 6.2 & 6.5 GM diesels are not related to or converted from any domesic gas motor. A 6.2 is a 6.2 and the BOP 5.7 diesel is a 5.7 diesel. Just for chits & grins I'll bust out an old parts catalog and see if the crank , heads , rods ect.. are the same as any thing else... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Jim

11. Pure Insanity

OK I made a mistake on the last post. It was supposed to end w/ a ??? not a.... LOL! As in the 6.2 IS a converted Olds? Im lost at this point, Ive never been a fan of diesels (as in I couldnt stand them) until the last few yrs when they started getting decent IMO. (Powerstroke Cummins and Duramax) Either we are talking totally different stuff, (yrs) or I have gotten some BAD info over the GM diesels. OK so where does the Olds fit in, in the GM line up? Looks like I may be wrong and need to offer up some appologies.

12. BryanL

BryanL Registered Member

Duh on my part.....

Yep, I meant 1982. Should have clued in when I realised my 1986 has one!

13. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

The 5.7 oldsmobile converted diesel was offered in full size olds, buicks and i think pontiacs. Never seen one in a chevy or a truck. Yes, they were head gasket blowing pieces of crap that gave diesels a bad name for a loooong time. I know they were produced as late as 81 but when trucks got diesels, they were 6.2's. The 6.2 was designed from the ground up as a light truck diesel and shares no parts with the olds, but it does seem to have some guilt by association.

14. Pure Insanity

Well it looks like I stand corrected. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif The guy who told me what I thought I knew was who I considered a reliable source. Hell he was even a diesel mech. in the early-mid 80s! Sorry guys! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif But dont get used to it....... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

5.7l was offerend in 2wd trucks in 79 and 80. I have a friend that has one that had a 350 diesel in it, and it had the hydro boost.

I never seen a 5.7 (350) in a 4x4. 6.2 came in 82 I think as was said above.

6.2 is a Detroit Diesel. Kinda like a BBC sort of...

16. Pure Insanity

HA SEE! I knew my grandfathers had a 350 Olds in it! LOL

I give up! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif