Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vacuum actuated t-case

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by TwoCrowsDesign, Jan 29, 2002.

1. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

All of these posts all of the sudden, can you tell I'm starting to think about getting ready to start planning for working on the wife's s15?

I've seen the cable replacement for vacuum actuated transfer case shifter in catalogs and since mine isn't currenty working, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just replace it with the cable. Has anyone done this? Sandman, didn't I see something about a home job you had done on yours?

Thanks again

John

2. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

The Posilok is only for the CAD for the front axle, you will still have to shift or push button to use the transfer case.

Git there fastest with the mostest!
    Nathan Bedford Forest

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My '91 has a floor shifter to engage the transfer case. There's a vacuum switch mounted on top of the t-case that sends vacuum to the front axle disconnect when the t-case is in 4WD. It activates the vacuum motor, under the battery, that engages the front diff. The switch on top of the t-case gets sticky and starts getting slow, then finally it won't engage at all.

The part costs $18 at your friendly GM dealer. You have to remove it by feel, since you can barely even tell it's there when looking from below. [​IMG] I had to remove the tranny shift linkage to have room to get my hands and a wrench in there. Had it swapped out in about 15 minutes. The front now engages almost immediately when I shift into 4WD. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. Jamus

Jamus Registered Member

Vacuum is most probably the cause of you not having 4wd. But there's many things that could be wrong. Bad vacuum lines, no vacuum, bad vacuum actuator, broken cable to the CAD, and lastly what happened to me, worn thrust bearing. You should find the true problem before replacing stuff. There are a few tests to narrow down where the problem lies.

94 Blazer, 4.3 cpi, 3" body lift, SFA with dana 30/Ford 9", 33's