Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vacuum Advance Question

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by teamhickman, Mar 17, 2005.

1. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

Ok, this will sound really stupid:confused:….. but how do you verify that the vacuum advance is working? I've tried everything I can think of and nothing makes a difference:dunno:

350/HEI

Thanks,

Andrew

2. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Suck on the hose going to the dist. You should not be able to pull air though it, if you can it's bad. You can buy just the vacuum advance canister.
    Another way would be to take off the cap, and apply vacuum using a loooong hose from your other car. You should see the center part move.
    :grin:

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Don't forget to hook it up to the right port if its working . You should have a ported source so it advancing at cruise under light light loads , for economy and emissions :k5: :k5:

4. chevy_addict

chevy_addict 1/2 ton status

I have a hand operated vacuum pump that can be used to check it like below rather than from your other car. I'm at Chandler and Kyrene if you need to borrow it.

Dave

5. teamhickman

Thanks for the responses!

I checked today and a new one is only 8 bucks so I’m going to go ahead and just change it. I did try the “oral vacuum test”.....:haha: but didn’t see any movement.

Dave,

I’m just north of Chandler on Kyrene. We should get together some weekend, It would be good to meet you and I’d love to check out your rig.

Thanks again,

Andrew

6. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

That "oral vacuum test" will only tell you if it is bad. If you can pull air though it then the diaphram is ruptured. I dont think you can actually pull enough vacuum orally to make it move. Also. the last dist. I had to replace, had the mechanical advance frozen. When you pull the weights out the part the rotor screws onto should move. Check the pivot holes on the weights under the rotor. If they are elongated or the weights are sloppy, they are wore out. Since you are aready into it, might as well check out the rest of it.:grin:

7. teamhickman

Thanks for the heads-up on the mechanical advance. I'll be sure to check that as well.

Thanks again!

Andrew

8. chevy_addict

chevy_addict 1/2 ton status

Sounds good! I want to check out your new rig :thumb:

Dave

9. teamhickman

well, i ended up not buying a new advance, the old one was working and holding a vacuum.......then my damn timing light died:mad: . I'll have to pick up a new one this week and make sure the timing is set correctly.

I did notice that it's burning alot of oil. The plugs were pretty bad when I changed them last week but I was hoping they had just been in there to long. Oh well....just add it to the list:)

Andrew