Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vacuum leak!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Dec 30, 2004.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

My brother just bought a 78 ford with a 400m the motor has been rebuilt. It has a vacuum leak that i cant get to stop underneath the carb on the drivers side. i have tried 3 different carbs and the all leak at the same spot when i spray starting fluid it revs up at the same spot everytime, on all 3 carbs. i know the other carbs are good, i took them off my other daily drivers. it has a 1/8" plate sandwiched between 2 gaskets, what is it for? it has a performer intake with an edelbrock carb. anyone have any ideas?

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

pull it apart. check intake for cracks (unlikely). check your intake surfaces with a straight edge, i've seen them pull up the corners. if questionable, stuff paper towels in intake and drag a good med/fine flatfile across it. this will show you high spots in a couple passes. mill accordingly..

i like the roloc conditioning pads for gasket surface cleanup. fresh gasket, ya should be fine.. if its a thin plate, its probably there just for heat and can probably be pulled if questionable... hope that helps... :thumb:

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Plate might be needed

That 1/8 inch plate you mentioned is probably an adapter used to seal the gaps between a performer manifold and a square bore carb--many carbs base's dont "jive" with the weird shaped opening the performer intakes sometimes have,and need that plate sandwiched in there to seal off vacuum leaks--ford 2 barrel carbs used a phenolic plastic spacer plate on their stock manifolds that does much the same thing..

The Edelbrock carb has a dual bolt pattern--on a few intakes,I've noticed they also have the dual bolt pattern--on a few I've worked on,the holes were drilled all the way thru,allowing vacuum to leak out of the ones not occupied by a bolt--I think it was a previous owner that had drilled and tapped the holes out that drilled them all the way through,but who knows?--might be worth looking into if it seems to be leaking near the bolt holes..:crazy: