Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vacuum lines\emissions: Do I need to keep 'em all?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJim85, Aug 3, 2002.

1. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Vacuum lines\\emissions: Do I need to keep \'em all?

I'm in the process of installing a new 350 into my '85 Jimmy, replacing a tired, filthy, chared 305. I'm just wondering if I need to keep all those goddamned vacuum lines and emission bullshit, and if I can plug the vacuum tubes on the carb (QuadraJet, stock) and still get it to perform. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Re: Vacuum lines\\emissions: Do I need to keep \'em all?

I did on mine when I swapped in a 350 in place of the 305. You need to keep the essentials hooked up like vacuum advance, etc. If you have to get smog check you will not pass it if you pull everything off.

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I have an 83 from Colorado so I'm pretty sure we have the same 5 miles of emissions tubing under our hoods. I removed everything except the EGR, the smog, the exhaust injectors and the Cat. All the other thermoswitches, dash pots and other related garbageI dunno if it made it run any better but I didn't have to chase vacuum leaks anymore. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I figured I'd need the essentials. Hopefully the essentials weren't the lines that disintigrated into dust when they where removed. That sad 305 was abused by the previous owner, all the plastic on or near that engine was baked.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I don't a digi camera anymore, but I can try to draw up a diagram of how mine is run if it'll help you out.

6. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

That would be downright kind of you. I'm sure I could figure it out, but every little bit helps since vacuum lines confuse the hell out of me.

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Thanks a bunch! Now I hafta learn how to draw. Wheres my CAMERA! I really wish I could take a picture bcos I took every inch of tubing of the motor. Maybe if your not in a rush I can take regular pics and post them or even mail them to you. There might be a new total of 3 ft of vacuum lines. I even disconnected the cannister.

8. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Hey, however you want to do it. This project will be taking longer than I planned. Cleaning a 1/4 inch of filth off of everything is a pain in the ass, even with mean degreaser. If your going to draw or send pics keep me posted. Thanks a bunch.

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, I did a similar thing on myk 84. I eliminated a lot of the bullshit but kept the basics like the canister (out of a TBI Jimmy) and such. With 10' of 5/16 and 10' of 7/32 vacuum line I replaced every vacuum line under the hood except for a few vacuum switches in which I just plugged the ports off I didn't use anymore.

If you stare at your emissions sticker long enough you can figure it out. It took me about an hour and a half.