Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vacuum pump/brake bleeder?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Aug 5, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

There was pic of this a while ago on here. It's a vacuum pump you can get from Sears to bleed you brakes. Anybody have any success with these?

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I have one I got from oreilly auto parts, I used it to bleed my brakes and hydro clutch. Worked great. I just gravity bleed everthing first then used the pump.

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I got a venturi vacuum bleeder from Harbor Freight when I did the R134A swap in my s10. I figured now that I have vacuum I might as well make a bleeder...

I used a old glass jar, drilled some holes in the top, put in some brass fittings from Home Depot (three 1/8NPTx1/4barb, one 1/8npt 90*, and one 1/8npt union), and some hose. The pump was $14...the jar was free...the fittings were under $5...and I had the hose lying around.

I'll tell you how it works after I replace EVERY BRAKE COMPONENT on the s10 this weekend (I'm putting in 12" rotors if you were wondering).

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I made one out of a glass mayonaise jar too--just brazed 2 peices of brake line tubing in the lid,one protrudes just under the lid,the other one almost to the bottom,and you fill it with just enough brake fluid to keep the longer tube submerged,and use a long vacuum hose(i used 3/16) and hook it to manifold vacuum from your running engine(this goes to the short UNsubmerged tube)and the other hose you put on the brake bleeder--I use visegrips to pinch it off as a valve of sorts,just open the bleeder and it sucks all the air out.I used surgical clear tubing from an old oxogen mask so I could see the air bubbles.Works great to prime the injection punp on a diesel too,just hook it to the return line one the pump and it will prime it,did this to my vw jetta when the pump wouldnt hold a prime for days on end anymore.Use diesel fuel instead of brake fluid for this trick though! You will have to use another car for the vaccumm though--I never tried using the diesel's own vaccum pump,but it would probably work.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI hated bleeding brakes alone,usually by the "gravity"method (crack the bleeders and go away for 10 min,then close)you get only limited sucess,this way it not only works good,but no more pedal pumping that can damage master cyl(due to rust ridges in the bore)or blow rusty lines out(though I'd rather see them fail in the shop than on the highway! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif).Best part is you can do it alone!.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif