Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vafpr(vacume adjustable fuel pressure regulator) swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by S. Burnham, Sep 23, 2006.

1. S. Burnham

S. Burnham Registered Member

I finally got my new vafpr installed on my tbi and it makes a h-ll of a differance when you are running a 383. it woke up burned tires and had no more valve noise due to running lean. I am very pleased. next step is vortec fuel pump.

oh I have a 88 jimmy
    383 with hyp tech flat tops
    hasting rings
    97 roller cam and lifters
    vortec high volume oil pump

I have posted on here several times about timing but it turned out to be way too lean. I am soooo happy to get this straightened out.

thanks had to let everyone know.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Where did you buy the regulator from? Any link to a website with a part number by chance.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I did a quick search, I really hope you've spent the time datalogging and burning chips, or paid to have one burnt.

Your engine could still be massively out of tune, and as others have had happen in similar cases to yours, could cause it to fail.

4. S. Burnham

i got it from an acdelco parts distributor not a dealership. the dealerships can not get it anymore.part# is 17113186.

as far as tuning with a chip no one around my area does it and i can't afford to buy the stuff to do it. from all i have read it is a trial and error thing that you have to do over and over untill you get it right. right now it seems to be running great. i'm sure it can be more finely tuned but it's not a race car or a mud drag truck. so until i can find someone to help me with burning chips i will have to make do. every one that i have asked about burning chips want's a $100 to $150 to do it and they are guesing at the tuning.

5. S. Burnham

i got it from an acdelco parts distributor not a dealership. the dealerships can not get it anymore.part# is 17113186.

as far as tuning with a chip no one around my area does it and i can't afford to buy the stuff to do it. from all i have read it is a trial and error thing that you have to do over and over untill you get it right. right now it seems to be running great. i'm sure it can be more finely tuned but it's not a race car or a mud drag truck. so until i can find someone to help me with burning chips i will have to make do. every one that i have asked about burning chips want's a $100 to $150 to do it and they are guesing at the tuning.

6. S. Burnham

7. S. Burnham

8. S. Burnham