Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vague steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NorthernRedNeck, Apr 6, 2002.

1. NorthernRedNeck

NorthernRedNeck Registered Member

Hoping somebody can help me out here....a friend of mine brought by an 87 Blazer, 350 tbi, 700, 135000 miles, 10bolts, and 31's. We took it out for a drive and the steering is extremely "vague" you must saw on the wheel alot more than what u should have to to get much of any response. Then we took mine out just for shits and giggles to make sure it wasn't my imagination or a case of err...K5 envy lol but my 89 was extremely tighter. We looked over the truck and it doesn't look like it has ever plowed and the frame appears in excellent condition as it has been under-oiled since new. The truck also has just went through inspection so all of the front-end pieces are tight. The only thing we can really come up with is that the steering box may be worn out. Any ideas as to what this ailment may be?

2. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Just a guess, but on mine if the crossmember becomes loose my steering becomes sloppy, other than that just make sure that you check the normal stuff like wheel bearing play, ball joints, also check the play in the steering column..

good luck
    TJ...

3. chevyuser

chevyuser Registered Member

Hi Chevydrivers,
    I have a very similiar Problem on my CUCV, if i turn sharp left like when i go left on a crossway, then when I want to go straight, the truck turns right a little just like the axle would be out of direction.then after some harder short steering turns, it goes straight ahead again.
    So if it would be my Brakes, it would stop turning right when I depress the brake pedal but that doesnt have any effect.So i checked all bearrings and ball joints and found the one which is located on the connection from the steering box to the left wheel near to the left wheel is a little bit bad but not very bad, although I dont think it would have an effect like this if it was worn out?
    I cant locate any trace that a moving axle would leave on the springs and also the spring mounting rubbers are not worn out.
    The springs are freshly oiled so they can move easy on each other.
    I hope anyone of you got some suggestions for me what causes my probs.....
    Regards, Chevyuser

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

have you tried simply adjusting the steering box? They aren't always worn out, sometimes they just need a little adjusting. Just loosen the nut on top of the box and use an allen wrench to drive the bolt down untill it bottoms, then back it off a little (1/4 turn or so) and tighten the nut back down.